Crest CA-4 vs. QSC PLX1602

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Feb 28, 2006.

1. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    :help: There are several posts on the CA6 and CA9 but not much on the CA4. Anyway, I currently have a QSC PLX1602. If i can get a cheap, used CA-4, should I go for it?
  2. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Isn't the CA4 a lot heavier. Would you really need more power. If it was up to me though I would be like "heck yes, always more power" :hyper: What kind of cabs would you pushing through it.
  3. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    I'll be running a Bergantino HT210S/EX112S mini stack or the 210S separately.
  4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    Is there something your PLX1602 isn't doing for you that you need it to do?

5. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
  6. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I have a CA-9 and recently came across a QSC usa1310 (650 watt/ch) and a Crown power-tech 1.1 (500 watts). Each one I removed covers to blow out the dust and make a general inspection and see how it's designed and for any obvious repairs.
    The CA is by far the best designed IMO as far as air flow, durability, and well, it seemed uniformily layed out. While heavy, there doesn't seem to be any dead weight. It's all doing something.
    The QSC seemed more fragile. Distorting the chassis could be detrimental to the main circuit board given it's mounting system should it be dropped. The Main transformer was of the iron core variety, which compared to a toroidal transformer, adds a lot of dead weight. The Crown also used the iron core version and both the QSC and Crown were heavy on one side. Not balanced like the Crest CA.
    The plx may be different however but this has been my experience.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    from what i read, i think the design of the CA4 is VERY different from the more renown CA9, so you might not get the goodies of the "9" in the "4'.
  8. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    The CA-2 and CA-4 are not the dual rail power supplies like the CA-6 and above (class H). Due to their lower power outputs, it was not needed or beneficial. As such, the CA-2 and CA-4 look more like "typical" amps. No drawbacks here - just simpler . . . . . .

- Tim
  9. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    Thanks for all of the input. I just scored a CA-6 on ebay for about $100 more than the CA-4 I was watching. Can't wait for it to arrive. I plan on keeping the QSC but I'm interested in seeing if there is a significant difference like I've read in many other posts.
  10. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Hey rick, how do you like it? I'm considering the same model - CA6 - for my 400w/ea HT210/115 stack....

Does anybody have an opinion on the CA6 vs the LT1000 or LT1500?

cheers, mates
  11. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    I love it! The only thing about it is its weight. My PLX1602 is a good amp, but I can definitely hear a difference.

12. You're not quite comparing apples to apples there: The Crown PT and the QSC USA series are the bottom of the line unit for both of those companies, IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The Crest CA series is near the top of the line for Crest. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I prefer the Crown amps when you get past the PT series and into the K series (100% passive, class D amplifier, the Torridal xfmr front and center) and the Macro Tech stuff. The MicroTech stuff is good too, but generally more for installations. For QSC, the PowerLite series.
  13. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR

sweet.. It looks as though I myself am about to join the Crest family - On Monday the check goes out for a used LT-1000 :hyper:
  14. the CA series is sort of the bottom in the crest line. the CA amps were designed to be the only crest products in the local music store -- the rest are more professional grade. the pro 200 is the flagship and the CC amps are all 2U and lighter weight than the CAs. the CM and CD amps are designed for fixed install.