Crest CA-6, QSC RMX 1850HD, Crown CE 2000, Stewart World 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, May 7, 2005.

1. CREST CA-6

16 vote(s)
  2. QSC RMX 1850HD

8 vote(s)
  3. Crown CE 2000

5 vote(s)
  4. Stewart World 2.1

22 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I hate polls but really need some help here. Please vote and maybe leave a little note as to voted as you did. I am about to buy power amp and need some direction. :eyebrow:
  2. If you want to please your ears, get the Crest. If you want to please your back, get the Stewart.
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    and I'll add that they should all last. Depends on the features you want.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

according to Bob Lee { QSC guru }, power amps should be compared at same
    volume levels ... i think that's what he said .

others swear they can tell the difference between Crest and QSC and Stewart just by listening ,
    but it should be minimal at best .

i've only ever owned QSC and Stewart , but as long as the amp has the features
    and price you want , get it .

i doubt you'd be able to tell them apart , except by ratings ...
    { also , don't buy Behringer !! }

as always , it's jmo , peace ...

5. It's a fact, some people can't hear a difference. My guitarist for example is as tone deaf as a door knob and can't tell a Mesa from a Marshall.
  6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

LOL ...
    i think i've met your guitarist , or at least someone very simular ...

BTW , my Stewart 2.1 puts out tons of un-colored power , the only thing i hear is the SVP-PRO kickin' a$$ ...

again , it's just my opinion...
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Behringer is a not even a consideration. I will not buy any Behringer products period!! :eyebrow: :scowl:

It has been said that the "light" power amps (QSC PLX ,Stewart, ETC) thin out when driven. It is all hear-say to me. No votes for the QSC RMX 1800HD? I thought this was a really popular amp for Bass players? Originally I was going for lighter amp, but I am still strong enough to hump stuff around, and tone is more important to me, I guess. This will become my primary rig with a Sansamp RBI and PSDR to drive it. I will retire my Carvin DCM 2000( though this is a great amp and has performed flawlessly) to 2nd position with a Yamaha PB-1. With two rigs I won't have to move them around as much and I will have a back up rig.
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The 1850hd definitely wins the 'best bang for the buck' category (unless you buy a Crest CA series or Crown Macro Tech series amp second hand for a ridiculous price from someone who doesn't know or care what they're worth).

Great features and over-engineered to handle extreme usage -- only downside is the weight.
    I was intending to buy one, when I got a really good deal on a PLX1602.
    I'd love to have one as a backup amp, but I'd prefer a Crown MA-2402 as my primary and keep the PLX as a backup.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    and the only way to compare the tonal range of a 7 string bass to a four string bass is to take off three strings from the 7 string bass. ;)
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I use a CA-6 to power my Acme B-4. Little heavy but they hold up like nobody's business. They're a great second-hand value.

11. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I hear about the weight issue alot. I own a QSC RMX, an it is heavy. But you know, it does not weigh anywhere near what my 410XLT weights. The RMX is around 20 lbs heavier than the PLX and many other light-weight amps. When did this amount of weight become a big deal. Unless you are under the age of 10 or have some type of joint degeneration, 20 lbs. simply is not a big deal to move. If I had to hold it the entire time I was playing then it would be, but just to move it around is really no bid deal. :eyebrow:
  12. my thoughts exactly, in my opinion you should just buy whatever sounds best(or in a lot of cases what other people say sounds best if you cant play it) i really couldnt care less that my rack wieghs 60 lbs, because as long as it sounds better, its worth it.

besides if your cab wieghs 70+ lbs your going to have to carry that too, and its a lot larger and more cumbersome than a rack. if your going to carry one heavy thing to get good sound you might as well carry 2
  13. As an 1850 HD owner, i can assure you that you will not be disappointed in this amp. I've used it to run subwoofers, bass, full range music in my music room, and it is powering floor monitors at the gig this weekend. Nothing but pleased with it in every way.

I have used a CA12 to run subwoofers in a previous band, what a monster... it performed like a sonic bulldozer. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Crest.

As for the weight thing.... after handling 4 PA cabinets in excess of 100 lbs., 3 x 60 lb. monitor cabinets, and my 89 lb. bass cabinet.... I laugh at the 20 lb. burden that everyone seems so afraid of. :D
  14. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Except for the Stewart World, we are talking around 60 pounds or more with the rest of the rack. I don't know where the 20 pounds came from. Anyway, All would be used 2nd hand items except for the Qsc which I can get shipped to my door for $450 brand new. Pretty tempting. Anyone know of a better price? This would be the most I would spend except for maybe the used Stewart World for 5 bills. Is that a good price for a used Stewart world 2.1? What do the 2.1 sell for new? I think I can get the Crest for under $400 used.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All are good amps. I use the Stewart 2.1 primarily because of its light weight. Another reason I like it is that it's dual monaural: each channel is independent... it's nearly the same as two separate power amps that can be bridged if necessary.

Like Joshua, I've never noticed a lack of low end with the Stewart, not even down low on the B string!
  16. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The 20 lbs. came from how much the QSC RMX series weighs more than low-weight amps of comparable output. I can pull specs if you need further clarification.
  17. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Gotcha, but it was quoted like 20 pounds is no big deal, and its not, but add to it the 27 more pounds that most of these amps weight and it is substantial. Then stick it in a rack with a preamp and power conditioner etc etc and it all adds up.
    Anyway thanks for weighting in. :) And a good price for a used Stewart World is? And a used Crest CA-6?
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I have a PL218. As light as a PLX, looks a little different. I have not had any problems with it sounding thin. That might also be due to the fact that I never ever have to drive it hard. Even when I do it doesn't get thin. Great amp though.
  19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted for the Crest because if I was buying a new one today, that would be my choice... but I own a Crown CE1000 and have zero issues with it and wouldn't have reason to not buy a CE2000 if I needed more wattage.

[edit]my old band had a RMX2450 that worked like a champ! So other than needing to make sure a pre amp matches the input (my Crown has a switch)... they are also great power amps[/edit]
  20. I've only used Crest amps in audio applications, but they're as bulletproof and have as HUGE a "balls-factor" as anything I've encountered in 30 years of audio sales and installations.

I've been shopping for a new rig lately. First, I was looking at another, more powerful combo ... nah. :scowl: Then I was looking for "heads"... until I read this thread, including Crest as a power option. :eyebrow:

Remembering what I'd heard from Crest's amps I've installed, running everything from: a bridged, mono, passive sub; to a
    STUNNING stereo system; to insanely low impedence loads, in a multi-zone, whole-house audio system AND a VERY STRONG sound reinforfement system... the best , most flexible amps I've ever used!!! ...including Sony, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Integra Research, B&K, Carver, Crown, McIntosh, Krell, Meridian, (jees, you name it). :eek:

DU-UH! ...What a bass amp one would make! :hyper:

THANKS GUYS , for transposing an old A/V tech/bass player's memories to a new paradigm! ;)

Crap... now I'll have to start learning about a whole, new world of bass preamps & seperates! soon as I locate a good ol' Crest power amp. :ninja:

... oh yeah... although I don't have any experience with the other options (except Crown), I think the Crest would be a fine choice. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.