Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest LT vs QSC PLX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Jun 29, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I've never had any dealings with Crest power amps, only Crown, QSC, and Peavey. I'm looking for opinions of the Crest LT series. How does it compare with QSC PLX series? I'm only interested in lighter-weight amps. Should I consider Stewart also?

2. if you're looking at lightweight, the ST series is where you want to look. the ST has a switching power supply whereas the LT has a low-frequency (many mistakenly call it "linear") power supply. the ST has been discontinued, so you may have some difficulty finding them. but if you find one, you may get a great deal like this guy.

my recommendation is to either pony up the extra cash and go for a Crest Pro 200 series amp or stick with the PLX. since i work for peavey and get good deals on crest, i went with the pro 7200. i would strongly recommend either over the stewart amps. unless you must have a 1U amp (the stewart world 1.2), you would be better off with a crest or QSC.

robb.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm delighted with my Stewart World 2.1 amps. To my ears they're clean, quiet, transparent... and having 2100 watts in a 17 pound package is very cool. I also like the fact that they're dual-monaural.

Why do you prefer the other brands, robb?

4. for no good reasons. ;) i read my previous post and realized i worded it differently than i would have preferred.

part of it is access: i've heard crest, crown, and QSC amps and i know they sound good. i've only heard that stewart amps sound good. part of it is irrational: i've heard that people have had issues with the 1.2, and while you can attribute much of it to user error, you can also attribute some to design philosphy. and while that doesn't mean all stewart amps are inherently flawed, i think user interface and consistent design philosophy are important. but that's the irrational, non-scientific reasoning. finally, part of it is preference: i prefer the better reliability and sonic reputation of crest and QSC over stewart. stewart's reputation is growing, to be certain. but i am more comfortable with a crest or a QSC in my rack than a stewart. i think it is well worth the extra 5-10 lbs. (not an insignificant addition to 17lbs.) for what i perceive to be more reliable, real-world power ratings and performance.

but all of that is mostly derived from secondary anecdotal experience -- i heard from other folks. and if there's one thing i've learned about bass gear, it's that i should not listen to other people.

also, the question was originally between crest and QSC. i personally didn't consider stewart in my lightweight amplifier search (crest, crown, QSC, peavey, stewart, yamaha, chevin research, carver...). at all power levels and sizes, there were good reasons for me to consider a more expensive amplifiers for better performance. personal preference, i suppose, but when posed the question, "should i consider stewart?" my answer is, "maybe. i didn't, but your needs and resources are likely different than mine."

personally, i was able to maximize my requirements for light weight, excellent sonics, and low cost with a crest pro 7200. for many people the stewart or QSC fits that bill. i had heard the 7200 and tested it in the lab, so my confidence that it's exactly what i want is very high.

all of that hand-waving to basically say "no truly good reason".

robb.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

but all of that is mostly derived from secondary anecdotal experience -- i heard from other folks. and if there's one thing i've learned about bass gear, it's that i should not listen to other people.

Word, but didn't you see the trouble I got in by using the "A" word in another Crest thread? :cool:

I have to say, I am pretty empirical by nature, but the fashion show aspect of music is inescapable at some point.

6. another truth to be told -- when two amps perform the same, but one looks better, which will you buy, +/- $50?

i really like how my crest looks, for whatever that's worth.

robb.