Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest Power line 400 anyone have one or know anything about them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pin-drop, Jun 12, 2004.

1. pin-drop

pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    Hey does any one have a crest power line 400 im considering buying one and I cant find statistics on it anywhere. I found the manual for it on some strange russian website but i frogot what the dampenign factor is. If anyone knows what the dampening factor is please tell me.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I don't know what the damping factor is, but I'm sure it's in the hundreds. At that point, it's irrelevant.

3. pin-drop

pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    one of my music store buddies recomended that most quality amps had a dampening factor higher than 400 that seems like the main difference between the rmx and plx

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    If the damping factor is a couple hundred or higher, it's high enough to be irrelevant. The speaker cable will tend to have more effect on the real damping factor than the amp itself will; that's why it's best to have speaker cables that are short and as large as is practical.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Bob

do you recommend any specific cable company? Carver use to have some wonderful cable’s, but the sold that section of the company off and no longer makes them. I use to sell them all the time and now I just have the ones for the shop and wish someone else made cables like they did. Not sure if your familiar with the SubZero’s they did.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hi Brian,

I usually make my own speaker cables from whatever connectors I need and wire bought from a hardware store, because you can get 12, 14, and 16-gauge two-conductor stranded copper wire for pretty cheap. Speaker cabling is fairly non-critical other than the factors of extremely low resistance, durability, coilability (or ease of handling and stashing), and good connections.

For ready-made cables, a fellow TBer, for one, offers good ones for good prices: www.procablesnsound.com.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I usually make my own as well every since Carver quit making the subzero cables. Not sure if you ever tried them, but they where different then most, with the jack they used. I didn't know if you had anything you recommended.

Thanks
    Brian