Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest Powerline?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

has anyone heard of Crest Powerline 300? Its supposed to be a 2*300W @ 4 Ohm power amp, but i cant find much info about it...
    Why am I asking? I have an Ampeg pre and i am looking for a medium-sized power amp, and found this one for *cheap* (compared to local prices...)
    So, anyone has/had/seen one of these?

Thx

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have one in storage that I bought new in the mid 80's. It worked very well with my Ashley BP41 preamp. It was much louder IMO than it's 300 watt rating. I ran it in stereo powering a 4-12" and a 2-15". Then it became the power for my band's monitors. It was a workhorse. Many years of abuse later, one channel started having problems, and no one here could figure it out. I may still have the operating manual at my dad's house, I'll check if you'd like.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks so much!! This is the first piece of useable information that i got about it! So, from what you say, it might work for me - thats good news so far. Do you remember its weight or whether it was bridgeable at 4 Ohms, too? The weight factor is somewhat important for me, but a Crest, and as you say, a good Crest power amp for less than $250 and even here, where most things cost double as much as over the pond... :hyper: :cool:

Thansk again!

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I wish I had the amp in front of me, but I don't think it weighs over 25 lbs. It's 2 rack-spaces high. I'm thinking it can't be ran in bridge-mono at 4 ohms. I think 8 ohms is as low as you can go with it mono. I bet you can either call or email Crest for some fast info on it. I'll check at my dad's for the manual.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks again!
    I just needed some info about quality/reliability/sound that the manufacturer would probably not be too objective about. In other words, I needed some onhand info... But I will ask them about specifications, thats a more objective kind of thing. I will be getting it this Sunday :hyper: