Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest Pro 200 series power amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm trying to find some technical information on the new Crest Pro 7200 power amp. The Crest website has some general info but none of the technical "nitty-gritty" on the new Pro series.
    I'm considering replacing my LT1500 (35lbs) with either an ST2000 (23lbs) or the Pro 7200 (25lbs) so if anyone has any information or comparisons between the ST and the Pro, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'm surprised Mark from Accugroove hasn't replied. He uses the Pro series amps with his cabs.

I'm ordering a few in the next few days to check them out. I know they are suppose to be different then just a switching amp like the ST is or the Stewart but haven't had one in my hands to compare. I've always been a big fan of the LT because of weight, tone and price. Its a little more height then the ST, but I think has a little more musical sound to it, which lacks from a lot of the switching amps. Example would be comparing the CA series, which is awesome, but has some weight to it.

I look for the Pro series to blow me away...........

Hopefully Mark will chime in soon

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Yeah, I'd love to hear Mark's opinion! I'm sure he's done more than a little comparison listening.

4. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Greetings & salutations brothers,

I’ve had a Crest Pro 8200 for about half a year & have enjoyed every minute of it. It’s only 27 lbs & dishes out 1,450 per side @ 4 Ohms (1,600 with only one side running) or a mere 4,500 bridge into 4 Ohms. I’ve ran it both ways with great success.

What’s not to like? Cool blue lights on the front panel, a sexy black paint job & tons-o-tone!

Mark[​IMG]
    AccuGroove.com

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Mark, have you ever compared the 8200 to any of the Crest CA series or Crown Macro-Tech?
    If so, what your impressions (other than the weight diff)?
    Thanks.

6. i have a crest pro 7200. i bought it because all the crest pro 200 series amps tested very well in the lab and the price was right. they sounded especially nice with music and are lightweight. i haven't had the opportunity to "A/B" compare them with any other amps, though from impressions, they're better amps than any of the peaveys i've tested in the last two years. we make some pretty good sounding amps, too.

i also liked the simplicity and reliability of the design. there is a single PCB on the inside, which greatly reduces assembly error. the features are minimal -- XLR/.250" combination ins, volume, speakon and dual banana outs, stereo/parallel/bridge. no filters, crossovers, or other features. just pure sound and lots of power in a lightweight box. and the brushed black aluminum front panel looks really cool. also, the LEDs are big and bright; the green LEDs are natural green, not bright green. that doesn't affect the sound quality, but it looks cool in a rack.

the kicker is that my pro 7200 makes 590W per side into 8 Ohms and bridges 2000W into 8 Ohms. i have used both with my bergantino HT-112 with great sonic success.

robb.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Mark, does the Crest 8200 work alright on a 15amp circuit?

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Any more feedback on these amps? I can't find much discussion of them on TB, and the pro7200 seems like it should be on my short list.

Has anyone A/B'd a Pro7200 and a CA9?

9. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I was going to buy the 8200 and called Crest about current draw because the amp comes with a 30 amp plug. Lenny Tedesco looked up the current draw and said that to run at 8 ohms per side I would probably need a 20 amp circuit to prevent tripping breakers. I didn't want to take a chance on buying the amp and not being able to use it reliably.

10. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I made a pig tail (modified adapter) for the AC cord so that you can plug it into a standard outlet. I've never tripped a breaker, although I'm sure it possible to do so.

11. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I wasn't sure if it would (trip breakers) or not but Lenny from Crest said that at 8 ohms per side, it would draw around 16 amps (if I remember correctly) at clipping. Considering the fact that most of the time I don't get my own circuit I decided to play it safe. Nice amps. though.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of anyone driving an 8200 into clipping -- it would probably rearrange some internal organs at that volume.