Crest Prolite Owners/Users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Hill, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I know these are fairly popular power amps around here, and I've been loving my 2.0 for the past 6 months. But, it sh!t the bed during a recent gig. I don't know what exactly happened....would power on, but make no sound, with the green ACL lights flashing with the input signal. It's at an authorized repair shop, so as far as I know at this point, it's being handled under warranty.

So, now I'm just kinda wondering what kind of reliability other users are having with theirs. I haven't seen any issues around here, so I'm hoping it's just one of those things. I'm sure I'll be a little apprehensive using it again, and that blows.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I haven't had any issues running my 3.0 pretty hard for a few years now.

Knocks on wood...

3. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    So, apparently Peavey wanted to see the unit themselves, and the repair shop had to ship it to them.

As a result it will be another couple weeks, meaning the total repair time could approach 4 weeks.

LAME! I guess that's the sort of service to expect from the big manufacturers.

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    That sux, but at least it's getting fixed. I plan on getting a Crest 3.0, and reliability is just one of the reasons.
    Can you rent one in the meantime?

tom-g likes this.
  5. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    No. I'm having to drag out the old lead sled.

I guess I've been spoiled by truly outstanding customer service I've experienced from a couple other places.

6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have a Prolite 2.0 that's seen light use. I have experienced one issue with it, a rattle from the fan now and then - not confidence-inspiring, but it hasn't taken a dump. Oh, and two screws that are either slightly stripped or undersized. :/

Bought mine as new from an eBay seller but wonder, now, if it might not have been a return/refurb.

I've been using an old Lab Gruppen fp2200 instead of the Prolite, though, 'til I get around to having the fan issue addressed. I actually like the feel of the Lab a bit better.

Yours is the the only other problem I recall hearing about, though.

7. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Peavey turn around time is 4+ weeks! I wish they had just let the local shop fix it. 6 weeks for a warranty repair sucks.

The repair shop employee said "we have so many repairs coming in we're really backed up". Lol. Confidence inspiring.

I wish there were more rackable class D power amps out there! I'm getting very turned off on Peavey. C'mon Hartley!!!

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have two Crest (non-DSP) Prolite 3.0 power amps. No issues—yet.

9. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I am sorry for your experience with the Prolite, but it's not typical. They are solid amps.

A lot of times, the local repair centers don't have the equipment and know-how to repair stuff like that, so they have to send them in.

The repair center stays busy because we service and support all products made since the start of the company, which is over 50 years worth of product. Very few companies do that. I worked in service a long time ago, so I can tell you from experience that Summer is the busiest time of year.

10. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Can you go down the hall and fix my amp?
    Lol.
    I appreciate your post. It's the best bit of customer service I've experienced with Peavey.
    One of the benefits we have gotten with all the new small "boutique-ey" gear makers is truly outstanding customer service. I mean, outstanding.
    We've become accustomed to this.

10cc and S-Bigbottom like this.