1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crest Prolite vs. Crown XLS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biggredd, Jan 6, 2017.

1. biggredd

biggredd Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Thinking about purchasing a Crest Prolite 2.0 DSP or a Crown XLS 1502/2002. Anyone have experience with either or both? Which one do you think is better? Pros and cons?

2. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I'm currently using the Crest 3.0 when not running my Mesa or GK micro amps.

I had a Crown XLS1500 before.

Depending on the preamp (or pedal preamp) used, the input sensitivity on the Crown was reported by some folks as being too high.

Your Crest 2.0 DSP has a similarly high IS to my old Crown XLS1500. Your Crown XLS1502 has a selectable IS, which can be set to a much lower IS, so maybe consider the Crown choice if IS is a concern for you. Or if you're partial to Crest, go with the non-DSP version. My two cents.

bucephylus likes this.
  3. biggredd

biggredd Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    So why the non DSP version? And if my preamp sensitivity is rated at 1.0 Vrms, which input sensitivity would work best? .775 or 1.4? Thanks.

4. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    The non-DSP version because of its lower IS spec.

I would still choose the .775 if my preamp was at 1.0. It's pretty close that you may not notice much difference, but I'd still rather be exceeding the IS with my preamp.

But some folks use pedal preamps that have trouble driving power amps, and for those situations, definitely need to pay close attention to the IS on the power amp.

biggredd likes this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Have a lower IS than you have potential for driving it means you just don't set the preamp output to max, but you can still reach full potential with the amp.

If you went the other way, you wouldn't have enough juice to fully drive the amp.

(Same thing @Goatrope said)

Goatrope and biggredd like this.
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Note that while the first generation of Crown XLS DSP power amps had a fixed PA-friendly 1.4V input sensitivity level, the newer ones (including the 1502) can be set up for either 1.4V or 0.775V. So it gets down to price and weight, which I think tend to favor the Crowns.

biggredd likes this.
  7. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I've got a Crest Prolite 3.0 DSP and am quite happy. Running an Alembic pre into it.

I cannot speak to the quality of the Crown, but based on their history I would feel quite safe with them, too.

8. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    You cannot go wrong with either. I have been using Crown XLS DriveCore amps for many years without issue. My latest 2002 powers my Fearless cabinets.

crown_vert.

Michael Walker and biggredd like this.