Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest ST-series power amp opinions ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwendt99, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    What are the going opinions on the Crest ST series of power amps? How do they compare to the other lightweight power amps (QSC PLX, Stewart World, etc)?
    Thx,
    Jim

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love those amps. I've owned an ST1500 and an ST2000. Wish I'd never sold the 2000.

3. i have an LT2000, i'm not quite sure what the difference between it and the ST2000 is besides weight, but it seems to be a great amp. wish i could could compare it to others but i can't because i have no plans on getting another one.

good luck

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I absolutely LOVE my ST2000. Its very light (25lbs give or take a couple), is a bottomless pit of power (1000w per side @ 4 ohms) and sounds absolutely transparent.
    I owned a Crest LT1500 prior and really liked it but wanted something lighter with the same great quality.
    I haven't even thought about another power amp since I picked up my ST.
    You can find them from time to time on Ebay or as New Old Stock (NOS) at some Crest dealers.

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Ditto here. I sprung for the 1500 and couldn't be happier. The best sounding switching amp out there IMO.

6. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    Cool. The ST2000/ST1500 sounds promising. It looks like the ST-series is lighter than the LT-series. It sounds like even the ST1500 should have more than enough power and punch.

I haven't found a lot of web traffic on the ST-series. There are a ton of posts on the QSC PLXs and some on the Stewart World and Crest CA-series and Crown Macro-Techs, but barely anything on the ST-series. Maybe they just aren't being used in the bass arena as much.

I'm planning on putting together a dual-purpose rack that I can use for both bass and (at other times) for keyboards. I'm going to put a power amp in it that works for both (great bass for bass, and great overall sound for keys) and then either use a stereo preamp (F-2B) or two different preamps and swap cords when I need to.

Thanks for the info,
    Jim

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I wouldn't hesitate buying any Crest product. Their customer service is known to be one of the best.

8. I chose the CA9 since my experiances with other switching type amps (except my WWU if that is switching) pooped out on me when I needed the "dynamic headroom" thing. The extra weight is a pain, but nothing like good old fashion double O buck shot ( ala transformers) to blow some holes in things. Made big diff for me.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    How much difference in sound really does a separate power amp make? I mean if you're running a hella expensive/great sounding pre in front of it, will it make that much difference between what's pushing it? Say, comparing anything Crown to the PLX line... Just curious, as when I get my "ultimate" rig, I want it to be pretty much second to none. I'm goin' all out for everything but a bass (at least for now), and want to make sure I get the right setup. I'm either gonna be pushing an Alembic FX1 or Demeter VTB201 (or whatever that is!) pre with at least a 1000-watt/side @ 4 ohm amp. I had a PLX 1602 in the past and thought it sounded fine, but just wondering how much sound difference I'll get in say, this Crown ST series?

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    To be completely honest with you, it's splittting hairs. My main reason for going Crest Audio is that I have local support here if anything goes wrong. That and the fact that it weighs 23 pounds.
    I've heard some guys mentioning the PLX's as having suspect build quality, and a bit sterile tone. But these are things I've only heard so take them for what it's worth. The ST is built like a tank BTW.

11. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    A blurb on the ST Series says that:
    "Best of all, ST amplifiers are built with large storage capacitors in the power supply, which contribute to solid low frequency performance. This is why common switch mode amplifiers fail to deliver real dynamic low frequency performance."

Perhaps this helps improve the dynamic headroom for the ST power amps, where other switching supply amps might not do this.

Jim

12. I would say that would hopefully do the trick. The little I know ( really know the techy stuff) isn't much. But, that is the way I understood the 'dynamic headroom' thing and that being a "store" of juice when you need to push the low end, like not running out of breath so to speak. Thanks, that is good to know.

13. yes.

14. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    I hope this isn't an inappropriate question for this forum...
    I've found a particularly good price on a NIB ST-2000 at one internet musical equipment store, but searching on the web hasn't turned up much feedback on this place (either positive or negative). So, where can I go to find out whether this is a reputable place to buy from, or not?

Thx,
    Jim

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

What do you suggest then? Money is kind of no object. Weight is, and as long as it runs 1000 watts/side @ 4 ohms, I'm happy.

16. Out of things I've owned, I would recommend a Crest. I currently own a Crest LT1000 which seems to work well for me. PLX's are good also, but I like the Crest better. I'd love to check out the Crest Pro series. I was talking to Brian Barrett about those a while back, but ended up picking up a used LT1000.