Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crest vs crown power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Mar 8, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So I'm thinking about swapping for a power amp/pre set up and was wondering about quality power amps.
    I've heard of crown and known people who have used it. But I'm wondering if crest is a better brand. It would be something like a crest ca9 vs the crown ce2000 or whatever is around the same wattage. Any other power amps to consider?
    And I'll be playing the heavy rock with me new nv610 if that matters much.
    Thanks again TALKBASS!!!

2. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Both Crest and Crown are very good amps. Take a closer look at the Crown MacroTech 2400 or 3600

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The Crest CA9 is a great amp, but IMO, Crown's Micro and Macro Techs are the work horse of the industry.

4. you could take a lok at QSC

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I use a Crest CA-9 and thus far, it's been rock solid. At the time I bought my CA-9 the Crown MA-2402 was roughly $1000.00 more, so I went with the Crest.

This being said, my dream amp is still a Crown Macro-Tech 2402. I've talked with numerous Sound Companies who prefer Crown amplifiers over all other brands.

IMO if you can afford the Macro-Tech series, go for it.

6. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I was looking at the micros and macros when they were mentioned, but they do seem a bit more than the ca9. Which prbly will steer me away from them.
    Is is a safe bet then that the crest ca series is better than the crown ce series?
    thanks

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    IMHO yes.

8. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yeah, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but from what I've read/heard, the Macro-Tech is the "Cadillac".

[​IMG]

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The plethora of pro-Crown responses above surprises me. I believe that for modular bass applications the CA-9 is unsurpassed by anything under $2200.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Oh don't get me wrong, I love my CA-9. It's been a great amp. I gig 3 to 4 weekends a month and it's cruised happily along for coming up on 2 years without a single hitch.

I just want a MA-2402, if for nothing more than bragging rights! :D ;)

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I agree +1 on that. As just mentioned, Macro is the Cadillac of Crown, Micro's are great too, just less expensive yet with still plenty of headroom and backbone punch.

12. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I have no experience with Crown amps, but my CA6 (1500 watts bridged into 4 ohms) kicks major booty into my new NV425, along with all the other cabs I've tried it with. I've had no issues with it.

I purchased the Crest based on Jim Bergantino's personal recommendation (after a harrowing experience with a Stewart 2.1), and the amp has performed just as he predicted. A very good match with the Bergs, IME.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    IMO you're so right, mrcircle; IME the Crest/Berg combination is a great match. Jim Bergantino recommended the CA-9 to me for my HT210/HT115 setup after I was having numerous clipping issues with another brand of amplifier. :)

14. BTW, Macro-Techs and Micro-Techs are the SAME amps; the price difference comes from the Macro-Techs having the ability to accept Crown Network and PIP computer controller cards. If you don't need that or the big knobs in front, save the extra money and get a Micro.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    arbitrary,
    congrats on your NV610! :cool:

I recommend that you give Jim Bergantino a phone call, or send him an email to find out which amps he recommends for your new cab. :)

I bet a Crest CA-6 in mono-bridge would be a great match. :bassist:

Regards,
    - Art

16. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey arbitrary, I had been using a 1,500 watt, Crown Power Tech 3 for a long time with "no trouble" ever. One day, I decided that I just had to have a Crest ca9, due to it's slightly higher "bridged output" of 2,000 watts @ 4 ohm's. So I picked up a brand new CA9 for $975.oo, removed my Crown pt3 from the rack, and plugged in the new amp. Much to my surprise, I found that the warm, punchy,vintage growling tone,that I had become a custom to from my '66 Jazz Bass, was gone. Long story short, even though I still believe, and know, that Crest "CA series" amplifiers are amongst the highest quality amps in the world, I think the problem with the lost warmth, came from changing over from Crown's "Grounded Bridge" topology,[which is similar to A/B circuitry], to Crest's, higher efficiency, switching technology"H type" amplifier. My only advise would be to try to run test your prospective new amp, with your speakers and everything before you throw-down the BIG BUCKS! Needless to say, the Crown Power-Tech 3 is back in the rack!!!

17. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I can't speak to the sound quality of Crown amps, but the Power Tech 3 is only rated for 8 ohms in bridged mode. The NV610 is a 4 ohm cab, IIRC.

18. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So which would suit me better the ca6 or ca9 with the NV610 (which I love).
    THANKS!!!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

19. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    To which I reply "Nyah nyah, I have a MA2402 and you don't!" Seriously, it's the best power amp I've ever owned/used/seen a picture of. It is however VERY pricey, and may not be price competitive for some people. Diminishing returns.

You know, one of these days I'm going to get a good preamp to go with that sucker again. I've just been too happy recently with smaller portable heads. My old IAMP 800's preamp into that MA 2402 made me feel funny things in my pants region.

20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I scored the CA-6 just because I know I'll never run two cabs and it is almost overkill for my GS410. If you think you'll drive two, and money is no object, the CA-9 is the alternative.