Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest VS series power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Has anyone ever used or owned one of these? I am considering a Vs900 or Vs1100. They seem to be well made and have damping factors of >1000. Is it a bad idea to buy a used power amp?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ever plugged directly into a power amp. I run my amp pretty flat as it is, and wondered if this would work. Maybe throw a graphic EQ pedal inbetween.

Thanks for your opinions.

2. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    -Crest amps ARE "top shelf", very high quality & reliable, they would be a good candidate for a used purchase. I would try to buy from a dealer who offered some kind of warranty to be safe. Their web-site is quite good (www.crest-audio.com?) it also has a list of dealers as well a references of clients, like Madison Square Gardens, Vetrans Stadium, ect.
    -I am looking at the Crest "V"'s, Crest "CA", and Halfner power amps.
    -I've tried pluging directly into the power-amp section of my combo and have had no major problems. However, even my 18v Bartolini onboard-preamp couldn't push my peavy past 1/3 power. But, all power-amps have different sensitivities so mabye Peavy is on the low side? I've also heard of impedence conflicts, I think this would apply to a passive inst.
    -I would avoid an eq pedal. One member on this board told me of a cool setup: bass > stereo rackmount compressor > poweramp > speakers. I will try this out before I buy a pre-amp since I use just the on eq on my bass.
    Good-Luck

3. KampKomfort

KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000

I use a setup similar to the one mentioned by Speedbird (with the exception of a pedal style compressor instead of a rackmount).

Fender P-bass with active EMG's->Trace Elliot SMX Dual compressor ->Sunn SPL7350 power amp (350W X 2)->Ampeg B1 1X12 cab + '73 Yamaha 15" cab

I hope you can read that "flowchart". It's a strange setup, but it works. I don't use much compression, if any, but the SMX's eq knob acts as a minimalist preamp. I think it sounds great...it would be pretty transparent with a more modern cabinet setup. My Yamaha has a really throaty sound for a 15". Good luck!

KK

4. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    My band owns a Crest Vs900. We are using it to power the band's PA system. We've owned it for 6 months; its been very reliable.