Crest w/SWR IOD or Alembic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Aug 12, 2002.

1. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    How does this setup rub y'all: A Crest CA4 power amp with an SWR IOD. I've heard mixed opinions on the Crest CA series. I've also considered the Alembic F2-B because it can be run in stereo along with the amp. Any opinions?
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    running stereo really won't make an amp that much greater.. and to be honest... no one will ever know you're running stereo.... however the alembic is a good preamp..

But I recently ordered and IOD preamp... and most people who have them love them....
  3. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I've never heard an SF-2 but from the description it looks like you can get some overdrive by chaining the channels together. Might be something to consider if the level of overdrive is at the level you would use the IOD to get.
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    On the contrary, running in (true) stereo can be very noticeable, especially if you're using a stereo chorus.
    I've been using an Alembic F2-B for almost 20 years this way. If you hook it up with each channel going to each channel of the power amp with seperate speakers on each channel of the power amp then you've basically got two amps. If you separate the speakers and use a stereo chorus you can get a very good full sound, IMHO.
    The F2-B doesn't have as much EQ control as some of the newer preamps but it has a great warm creamy tube sound and I love it's simplicity.
  5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've been wondering, what would y'all say are the similarities and differences between running an SWR IOD in overdrive, and cascading the two channels of an Alembic F-2B for overdrive? Which overdrive sound do you prefer?
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I've only tried cascading the two F-2B channels a little bit. Seemed like there was a fine line between "no difference" and "farty braaap" as far as the first gain went.

Right now I've got a SansAmp I use for overdrive, going into an F-2B. I use both channels of the F-2 but not for stereo - one is a "clean" channel and the other "dirty".

I've thought about getting an IOD and simplifying the whole thing, though.