"Cricket Bat" - Hohner vs. Steinberger ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulF, Jan 28, 2005.

1. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi all,

I'm considering getting a new bass, and I've always fancied a Hohner / Steinberger 'cricket bat' design bass.

I see that Gibson now make some Steinberger basses - can anyone give me any information / opinions between the Hohner B2AV (which sells for about £370 in UK) and the Steinberger Spirit XT-25 (which sells for about £330 in UK)

Are they of a silimar quality ??

They both claim to be Maple with Rosewood fingerboard. The Steinberger is a 'three piece' with a 'Thru-Neck' joint. The Hohner as 'Neck through Body construction' - is this the same ?
    The Hohner has active circuitry (which the Steinberger doesn't), but both seem to have the same EMG pickups.

(also, I'm not sure if either are currently in stock, which could be a problem but I'm waiting for replies on emails about that !)

If anyone can compare these two basses I'd be grateful to hear your opinions.

Many thanks,

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    They're made in the same factory, they're pretty much the same bass. IIRC, Steinberger were so impressed with the quality of the Hohners that they asked them to build their budget line, Steinberger Spirits.
  3. baji-naji

Jan 21, 2005
    The B2AV has an onboard preamp and J pups, whereas the Steinberger is passive and has humbuckers (EMG selects). Depends which flavour you like I suppose. The Hohner isn't available in black.
  4. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback guys - I hadn't noticed the Pickup differences (thanks baji-naji)

What's the differences between humbuckers and J pups?? Am I right in thinking humbuckers are less prone to picking up noise/hum from amps/lights etc ??
    Are they louder than J pups ? (is that one of the reasons for having the pre-amp on board) ?

Anyone out there actually played either (or ideally both) of these ?

Any comments / ideas very welcome

5. I have an old 4-string Hohner w/active pre(sounds surprisingly good), a friend has a newer passive 5(sounds awful).
  6. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Actually Steinberger USA was on hold and Musicyo approached Henry to restart the line again, the whole story is on Steinberger World.
  7. the HohnerB2AV used to have EMG Select humbuckers- session player Paul Westwood used one as his main bass (it can be seen in his instructional video)

the Bass centre was selling off the old model B2AV for £299 a while ago.

I've got a hohner B2A - 4string, EMG select humbuckers, active/passive switchable.
    the pickups are a bit darker sounding than single coils, but the neck pickup has a nice tone- like a cross between a P bass and a Rick. output is about the same- if anything a bit less than the EMG select P in my P basses.

ps. some people have found the 5 string version is neck-heavy.
    (the 4 balances fine, although it's a bit of a stretch to reach the first fret due to the strap button being in line with the 20th fret)
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO the Hohners are better than the Gibson steinberger spirits. I had a Hohner and it was a really nice bass. The fit and finish was great and it felt solid, and had one of the nicest necks ive ever played.
  9. baji-naji

Jan 21, 2005
    Isn't that the B2V? The -AV has Jazz pickups, also Selects, but from the comments I've seen elsewhere they're single coils. My B2 which is an excellent bass, nicer than the Spirits I've played.
  10. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Thanks for all the info and opinions guys....

I'll have to try and find somewhere that's got them in stock so I can go and try them out !!!

11. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Does anyone have an opinion on Steinberger's new "Synapse" line?
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think they will be that good. overpriced.
  13. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I remember people saying that about the XL-2 ;)