Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cricket sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwig, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    since i got my fender p-bass, i noticed when im not playing, and my hands are off the fret board i get this mild 'cricket' sound coming from my rig.

im assuming its my MIM pickups at their worst, and im planning on replacing them in the next week or two, but it just scares the hell out of me, if its not the pickups, i may have a big problem on my hands.

would poor cords be a source of this? or would you suspect the pickups as the main culprit?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    we need soundclips.......... :p

sounds like a grounding or sheilding issue. i'm assuming this doesn't happen with any other bass so i'm thinking this isn't an amp issue.
    off to basses.

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Try doing a few tests such as seeing if the noise is still there if you unplug the bass from lead. Then also see if you have the same problem if you plug the bass into another amplifier.

Are you finding this noise is there when you sit in front of a CRT or other electrical equipment.

Post back with what happens, as the name says I'm not particular familiar with MIM Fenders, but I'm pretty sure someone in here will be able to help you as to whether its the pickups or not. If you don't get any sucess in here try the Pickups forum.

Cheers and Beers

Andy

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Your bass could be picking up radio signals like mine does sometimes. I could imagine human speech at low volumes sounding like crickets chirping.

5. It could be faulty cords or fluorescent lighting could cause the hum, i don't know if P pickups are considered humbucking or not...it sounds like a not, but try playing in a different room in your house

6. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thanks for the suggestions. next time we jam ill try some of those out and let you know whats going down.
    the only reason i suspect the pickups is because this only started when i got my new bass.