Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crieatine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Oct 20, 2005.

1. What is it and what does it do...my friend uses it...he's 15. What are the side-effects?

2. Creatine is naturally produced and found in the muscles. However a lot of bodybuilders supplement with it. Basically it gives your muscles a bit more power and endurance when working out or playing sports. There aren't really any serious side effects, since it's something naturally found in your body.

EDIT: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html Check it out.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My knowledge of the ins and outs of creatine supps is limited, but from what I understand it works essentially by allowing your muscles to store more water and/or carbohydrates, which in turn enables you to inch out some more performance from them. As a supplement this is useful because it enables you to go a little bit above your normal training capacity and in turn will enable you to get bigger quicker. Lots of people try it and don't get any results, some people do it and get buff quick. So there are lots of other factors than just the supp(like, how much you're working out, how much water you're drinking, how much of the supp you're taking...etc.)

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Yup.

In terms of side effects, I don't think there are any notablea from moderate use. As with anythign you put in your body, too much will probably mess up something.

5. My brother used it for some time. It performed (for him) as stated in the above posts (more performance from the muscles he was working on any given day). He experienced a major downside. While his muscles were ready to go the extra mile, his joints were not. After taking the supplement, he began having joint pain specific to the muscle group that was worked out the day before. He could only attribute this to the supplement.

Some background: he was not a major lifter. 3-5 days a week. One muscle group per session. He was 22. He did not change his routine during the "trial" period. He stopped taking it after about 2 months.

Mike

6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Creatine Phosphate works by surrendering its phosphate to an ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) molecule to form ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) which your skeletal muscles use to extract energy from. Creatine alone is useless. It's all about the phosphate thats attached to it.

It will provide an energy boost to help you exercise. The phosphate is extracted and the creatine is passed through the urine I believe.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I believe using creatine puts some stress on certain organs so usually you can only do a month of the stuff at a time and then have take some weeks off from it.
    Usually the manufacturers have good directions on the cans, though.

Now, is it any use to your 15-year old friend, that's another question. If your friend is not a serious athlete, I'd bet that cash is better invested in something else. Sports nutrition is quite a business, so you tend to see kazillion products out there to "maximize your performance". Yet the benefits are minimal to normal people - most guys get along just by eating regular home food, especially if you're 15 years old.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Supplements

Creatine is often taken by humans as a supplement for those wishing to gain muscle mass (bodybuilding). There are a number of forms but the most common is creatine monohydrate - creatine bonded with a molecule of water. A number of methods for ingestion exist - as a powder mixed into a drink, as concentrated liquid (known as creatine serum), or as a pill.

The majority of scientific studies have been conducted using creatine monohydrate in powdered form and similar effects may not be obtained from other formulas.

Effects

There is scientific evidence that taking creatine supplements can marginally increase athletic performance in high-intensity, anaerobic exercise. Ingesting creatine can increase the level of phosphocreatine in the muscles up to 20%. An additional study (Rae et al, 2003) suggests increased mental capabilities as a result of oral intake of creatine over a 60 day period.

It must be noted creatine has no significant effect on aerobic exercise (Engelhardt et al, 1998).

A majority of studies conclude that creatine supplementation increases both total and fat-free body mass. Since body mass gains of about 1 kg can occur in a week's time, several studies suggest that the gain is simply due to greater water retention inside the muscle cells. However, studies into the long-term effect of creatine supplementation suggest that body mass gains cannot be explained by increases in intracellular water alone. In the longer term, the increase in total body water is reported to be proportional to the weight gains, which means that the percentage of total body water is not significantly changed. The magnitude of the weight gains during training over a period of several weeks argue against the water-retention theory.

It is possible that the initial increase in intracellular water increases osmotic pressure, which in turn stimulates protein synthesis. A few studies have reported changes in the nitrogen balance during creatine supplementation, suggesting that creatine increases protein synthesis and/or decreases protein breakdown.

Others suggest that, since creatine may allow athletes to train harder and recover faster, the enhanced training stimulus may promote greater muscle hypertrophy in the long term. Ultimately, the increase in muscle mass is probably attributable to a combination of all these factors: greater water retention inside the muscle cells, increase in protein synthesis and/or decrease in protein breakdown and greater training stimulus.

Current studies indicate that short-term creatine supplementation in healthy individuals is safe (Robinson et al., 2000), and a long term study suggests the same thing (Mayhew & Ware, 2002). However, creatine can cause dehydration due to increased absorption of water by the skeletal muscles and is therefore not recommended for those with kidney disease.

Creatine use is not considered doping and is currently acceptable to all sports-governing bodies. In some countries however, like France, creatine is banned.

Loading and consumption

Several manufacturers suggest that creatine should be loaded into the body - for the first few days a high dose is taken followed by a lower maintenance dose. (Greenhaff et al. 2003) suggests this increases the concentration in the muscles, but some suggest that the same effects can be gained using a consistant dosage. They argue that loading is just a marketing ploy by suppliers to increase consumption (and hence sell more creatine).

(Stout et al. 1993) found that creatine consumption is increased when ingested with simple carbohydrates (such as dextrose). This is due to the insulin response caused by the simple carbs that allows quicker absorbtion.

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was majorly into lifting when i was younger.

To keep it short, I found no signifigant change in my performance with it's use. Eating a solid diet was more than enough for me to perform at an above average level in gaining strength for me.

But it may just be my body, I've always been able to quickly increase my strength through a good routine.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Stay off the supplements unless you are a professional body builder, even then it is questionable. You don't need them, especially when you are 15.

I agree with Sno. A good workout plan, and a healthy diet are adequate.

-Mike

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I box and I use it... but you must be careful. It injects water into you're muscles and well .. your heart is a muscle.. people have been know to have heart attacks.

12. I find it hard to believethat you can get a heart attack by extra water the heart muscles, there's allready water in there, but

he's got a point, it affects all your muscles, so critical ones too

and you shouldn't eat what you don't need
    well sort of

by the way, you shouldn't be doing heavy workouts, it can really screw up your growth, cardio workouts would be ok, but the rest...

13. Unsung got it mostly right. There is evidence to support the use of creatine monohydrate, but some warnings and issues also.

Generally, unless you load as Unsung suggested, the results can tend to be quite variable. But on the other hand, it is fairly difficult for the body to break down creatine in the digestive system and delivery it effectively into the bloodstream. This is why the serum is widely considered to be a better choice.

However, in my personal opinion, creatine is only slightly more effective in helping develop muscle mass than the old wives tale - the raw egg in a glass, (and considerably more expensive).

Put simply, there are no easy, quick ways to gain muscle mass - it takes hard work and dedication. Should you end up taking a cocktail of supplements, be aware of the quite damaging effect most of them can have on your digestive system and in some cases your kidneys and liver.

Just eat a healthy, balanced diet and use the plain, simple rule:

More energy out than in = weight loss
    More energy in than out = weight gain

Good luck

14. Listen to this guy - you'll likely end up healthier and you'll have saved some serious cash.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

aww yea, that's what I'm talking about. :cool:

16. The thing most people miss about these kind of things is the term "supplement". It's like some guys I know that work out plenty, jam tons of supplements, have a mediocre diet and drink their faces off on Friday and Saturday night. Wouldn't you know it, but they'd have better results if they ditched the supplements, drank a reasonable amount and ate a proper diet for their training. Supplements are meant to supplement an proper diet. I see a lot of kids at my gym buying up tons of supplements. I'd even bet that most of the supplement sales there are to males under 18.