1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crimes against Leo Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardPuncher, Jul 14, 2014.

1. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Jul 14, 2013
    MODERATOR:

Please delete this thread.

Thank you,

HardPuncher

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    bass nitro likes this.
  2. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Jul 14, 2013
    $_57.
    $_57.
    $_57.
    $_57.

bass nitro likes this.
  3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    So they messed with a classic or antique and then want to charge antique prices?

4. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

The Horror.;)

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Wow ... someone painted a piece of wood and put it up for sale. Call the police.

6. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    Bad enough I can't sleep, now here come the nightmares!!

bass nitro likes this.
  7. maestrovert, D. Gallis and anavar like this.
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Look how clean that bass is! The paint job is gleaming!

steamthief, adi77 and metalhead398 like this.
  9. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    At first I was thinking "eh, I've seen worse," then I saw the neck stamp and almost cried :(

HardPuncher likes this.
  10. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    this right err'

11. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Jul 14, 2013
    Normally, I'm with you 'it's your bass, do what you want with it' guys, but if you commit to a refinish like that, you should at least PLAY the thing. Aside from the slight fading on the P pickup, doesn't look like it's ever been touched.

Also, let's remember that Fender didn't make a PJ until what, '90? So even if you wanted to bring it back to original, you'd still be stuck with a kit-kat shaped hole right there for everyone to see.

Owner calls it 'a studio recordist's dream', probably because anyone in their right mind would be too embarrassed to bring it on stage.

12. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm sorry, I just seriously cannot see why anyone wouldn't just buy a Warmoth PJ body and keep the neck if they were going to do this.

13. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    This Leo was probably a victim of the eighties. I have seen a couple of late 60s early 70s that have been modified with EMGs etc. Just more painful when it is a pre CBS . I have heard this was not uncommon for some players in the 80s to "hot rod" Fenders.

HardPuncher likes this.
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If that paint job offends your sensibilities then the world of today must be problematic for you ... I assume you walk around in constant shock, with your hands covering your eyes. :)

As to the modifications ... in the car world it's popular now to build cars to be true to a certain period; hot rodding as it would have been done in for instance the 60s. Maybe you can look at basses like this one for what it is, this is how it was done, it's true to a certain period. This bass was nothing special at the time and the modifications - pretty much what people do to their new basses today - are right for a player's bass, if not for a collector's.

The price ... well, good luck. :)

15. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Jul 14, 2013
    I -do- bump into things a lot.

16. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Jul 14, 2013
    I understand the PJ mod thing, especially when it was new and you couldn't buy one, so yeah, maybe this one got the rout back in the 70's, and just the refinish is new.

What do you guys think about the lack of a tone-control? I've seen some artist P's without volume, but never without tone, I think.

17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    threads like this are so unnecessary

jthisdell, Fat Steve, grrg63 and 4 others like this.
  18. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Seriously. What's the big deal? Judging by the title of the thread, I was expecting something really messed up. What I see is a bass that looks to be professionally hot rodded. The finish, though unusual, looks well done. The bridge pickup routing looks very nice. Those mods are fairly typical for a bass from that era. Back in the day basses were considered tools and people did what ever they could to get the most of them. Nowadays, basses are prized heirlooms and you are the scum of the earth so much as put a scratch on one.

maestrovert, JIO and Fat Steve like this.
  19. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I'd rock the b'jebus out of that if it were mine..

PWRL, Stefmeister, raventepes and 2 others like this.
  20. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    See, the thing is, it's not "just another bass." These are highly prized, desirable instruments. There aren't that many in the world, and as time takes it's toll there will be fewer yet. I can't be sure when these mods were made, but judging by the... "aesthetic," I'd say it was the late 70's/early 80's. While I wasn't there at the time (although I've heard drugs were quite popular at the time,) I assume people were capable of realizing the quality difference between a 60's P-bass and... most everything made in the 70's. I seriously doubt this was a "players bass." It looks like a status symbol/show bass to me. A vanity project from someone who had no respect for craftsmanship. And as for "people do this with new instruments all the time today?" Apples and oranges. The market is overflowing with cheap crap - much moreso than in '64. (Which is not to say it didn't exist, mind you, but do you really think people care about a re-fined Eko? Do you think people in the future will treasure a $200 Dean?)

As always, Neil Young put it best;

Sometimes we are players. Other times, we need to be caretakers.

HardPuncher likes this.