1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crimes against Leo Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardPuncher, Jul 14, 2014.

1. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    Honestly, I like it.

A couple years ago, I was talking with a guitarist about creating an 80's metal tribute band. While it never got off the ground, I would have definitely rocked this bass. Hell. I still would play it. Probably has some great tone!

JIO likes this.
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    5 is the new 9

3. Meh, those type of hotrod mods were common in the late 60's - early 70's. In '72 an original '64 P bass was worth about $150, and L-series Fenders were not considered collectable then. If it wasn't a 50's P bass or a stacked Jazz, it was not valuable or precious. The "hot" basses then were reverse Gibson T-birds and Ric 4001's.

Fender built thousands of P basses in '64, they are not rare. They are not Faberge Eggs. If you wanted to buy one today, you could find plenty available. You'd have to PAY through the nose for one now, though. The vintage madness/worship knows no bounds, apparently.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    If 5 were 9 , I dont mind

5. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    Oh yeah! There may have been somebody cussing me while trying to remove it. Beauty is in the hands of the beer holder.

6. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    I think it looks pretty good. And in general I don't think the craftsmanship of the 60's basses was any better than today. I started playing in '67 when 60's Fenders were common and I didn't notice any particular mystical quality to them - they were OK. I like the current crop better.

Templar likes this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    A "crinkle" or "wrinkle" finish was a painting technique more than a paint that has been employed since as far back as the 1920's (maybe earlier) for various electronic and other equipment. It involved lacquer and enamel coats, the reaction between them created the wrinkle/crinkle texture.

8. lasalle69

lasalle69 "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride"-H.S.T.

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Cool. I have only used it on furniture using glue(size) and
    paint. Mostly on stage props. Thanks.

9. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    If Leo Fender didn't want to have his basses molested he should never have sold them in the first place, or at least held interviews with every prospectve buyer and got them to sign a contract promising not to modify basses, especially the old ones and especially the ones with the factory installed mojo container with mojo in it. Once you burst that and the mojo escapes into the atmosphere, you can never get it back. How dare he, who does he think he is?

As an aside, this hysterical overraction has reminded me of a sale I didn't make a few years ago. The seller backed out because I had taken the neck off the instrument and, by doing so, had broken a seal of tone which you only get with a factory installed neck. When you or I screw the neck on, we don't have factory magic or some such nonsense. It would have been funny but he was actually serious. Oh well. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a bolt-on neck. I would have understood and probably agreed had it been a neck-through.

10. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Actually, I like it. I'm also an amateur astronomer and I like astrophotos with diffraction spikes from the spider that holds the secondary on the brighter stars. Addsa vintage feel to it.

Some years ago I bought an M1911 service pistol from my now departed father in law. I believe the frame was made in 1917 as we were gearing up to enter the Great War. And then in the 1940's the slide, barrel and some other parts were replaced in an armory to prepare it for WWII. So it is a fine vintage gun and worth a lot of money. Except that when my father in law bought it in a government surplus sale he immediately sent it to a gunsmith who did some modifications on it. It is still a fine vintage gun but the modifications make it worthless to collectors who dismiss it as a "shooter": a gun that is fit only to shoot. You see, one thing a collector never, ever would do is to use the things he collects, that would diminish its value.

This bass is still a fine vintage bass but it is not collectable anymore, it is a player. I have nothing against collectors but I am sure that Leo Fender has nothing against people who play his basses either. That old Colt shoots very well.

artechoke and FretNoMore like this.
  11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I'm glad I don't have pictures of those that I have modded.

12. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    Looking at samples of results it was most likely the black "wrinkle" paint. It was this finish on the pick guard and the bass was gloss bright white.
    LMG-T-Harley-Davidson-Wrinkle-Black-3.

JIO likes this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I'll take those old ugly rusted junk parts if you dont want them...

14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    that's pretty cool - I bet it would wear nicely too.