Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Criminal Records search

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My 19 year old son has completed his freshman year at a community college and seems to be maturing into a responsible adult. While in his teens however, he was in trouble a lot because he hung with kids who were in gangs. These gangmembers were nice young boys when my son became friends with them while in elementary school. As they grew older, they began to skip school, quit all sports, drank alcohol, smoked pot...everything they could do. While my boy did not join a gang, he was around them so much that when the police would come by and arrest them for various infractions, they'd arrest him too. I tried sending him to private schools and different public schools but he was just not interested and finally dropped out and earned a General Education Degree. Then, about two years ago, I received a call at 3:45 am from the police informing me that my son had been caught trying to break into cars and asked me to come and pick him up. I refused and told them to send him to jail because I was worried that if I had to travel 30 miles at that time, I would probably beat the crap out of him and get myself arrested too. This was the best thing that ever happened to him. While locked up for 14 days, he had to go to classes during the day with the other juveniles. He discovered that most of them could not read or write although they had been in the country all of their lives. I had to spend $1400 but it was well worth it because I've never had a problem with my boy since. They charged $100 a day to lock up juveniles in that town.

My son does not hang around with his old friends anymore. He's had a nice girlfriend and has done well in community college, earning a 3.75 gpa for the year. The problem that he is finding is......whenever he applies for a job and most places ask that it be done online......the part felony, if he marks yes, the online site immediately shuts down and he cannot continue. He applied at Sears, told them that he had not been convicted of any felonies and was hired. He was supposed to begin yesterday but they called and told him that they had not completed the criminal background check so he had to wait. Now he thinks that he will not get the job once they find out that he lied.

Anbody have any ideas on what to do with this? He's left his troubled past but it still affects him.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    In some states (probably most), he can petition the court for his juvenile records to be sealed once he reaches the age of majority. Might be too late to save the Sears job, but may clear the table for the next one.

Check with a local attorney who works with the juvi courts near you, and good luck....

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm... if he was only in Detention for 14 days, was he convicted of a felony or a misdemenor?

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Was he charged as an adult?

If he is over 18 it shouldn't be on his record if he was charged as a minor. If it is the way I see it you have two choices.

1. Lie on all his job applications and maybe he can slip through the cracks

2. Get a Lawyer and have the offense removed (esponged) from his record...cost a few bucks though but it may be worth it.

5. I would talk to a lawyer or the police department about this. They will probably be able to help you and tell you your options. The legal system is a tricky and often nasty thing.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

What will the cops do? They will view him as just another criminal. You need to find out how his record is viewed from the employers perspective. Then take measures with a lawyer to clean up the record so by the time he graduates college he can go out there and find a job and not get screwed because of a wrong choice he made when he was a kid. Jobs are soooo tight right now he needs everything in his favor when he graduates...a degree, good GPA, and a clean record.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Bassman 314, he was charged with a felony which surprised us because he never did get into the car. RicPlaya, they considered him a juvenile at that time.

He's really cleaned his act up and now realizes that my wife and I are not stupid when we warned him of the consequences of his behavior. He was such a wonderful athlete too but his so called friends convinced him that school activities were uncool.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The choice to have in incarserated may have saved his life!
    But it also left a blemmish on his record. Unfortunatley if his record follows him around it needs to be cleaned up so he can utilize his college education.

9. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If you tell us what state you live in, I might be able to point you in the direction of some useful info.

Or, you can just go to Google and search on "juvenile", "records", "sealed" and "<name of your state>"...

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    They charged him with a felony or was he convicted of a felony?

Just curious...

:)

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    BigBeefDog, I live in Washington state. NJL..he was charged but not convicted. He's finally woken up to the fact that he's growing older and needs to figure out what to do with his life. I think watching kids his age dying in Iraq has had a big impact. He's been arrested at least five times from the age of 12 to 18 for a bunch of stupid infractions.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If he was simply CHARGED, but not convicted, he has no worries... It's not lying if they ask him if he was CONVICTED. Innocent until proven guilty...

13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Bingo. He has NO criminal record, juvi or otherwise, unless he was convicted. So, he didn't lie on the Sears application.

If he *was* convicted of anything, here's a good place to start learning about how to petition the court to seal his records:

http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/2168014902EN.pdf?stateabbrev=/WA/

14. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I thought Juvinile records were automatically sealed, and unavailible. Even in other court cases.

Tell your son not to mark that he's been convicted of a felony on those applications. Because he hasn't. And even if he had, I think you're still allowed to mark "no" if it was a juvinile conviction.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    He'll probably have to get a construction job, or some other type of general labor job to start off. Constructions companies don't typically do criminal background checks. None of the ones I ever worked for did.

If he is interested in working in construction, let me know. I have some connections in the area who could probably help him out if he wants to work.

-Mike

16. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks a lot guys! I feel much better now and BigBeefDog, I'll complete that form. Vox Popull...I thought that juvenile records were sealed too but I've heard from other parents that it's not always the case.

17. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Frankly, I don't think you need to complete it.... that's only needed if he had a CONVICTION.

Just offered that document up in case there is something on his record (being arrested and charged does *not* apply)..... but from your latter post, it doesn't sound like it.

18. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually according to the link that bigbeefdog posted, records are NOT automatically sealed.

19. it's possible his records are messed up, though, so you might have to put some effort into getting them corrected.

20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'd invest the money and see an attorney to determine once and for all if your son has indeed been convicted or just charged. I'd also have that attorney determine what your son's rights to privacy in the matter of his past run-ins with the law actually are and how best to protect his privacy.

He needs advice on how to fill out employment forms and handle job interviews. Plus he needs to know how much access to public records employers have in your state, particularly in regards to offenses committed as a minor.

This information is worth the investment in money to find out. The cost may be considerable. Not knowing your son's rights could potentially cost him even more.