Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Criminally underrated video/recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG]

Yup, Simon & Garfunkel, Concert in Central Park.

Guess who's the bassist on this? Anthony Jackson, no less, playing a four string bass. This is a killer recording (also available on video) and Steve Gadd's on drums.

A really underrated recording, for sure.

2. Is that from the '70s? I'm pretty sure AJ was playing his four-string Precision well into the '80s.

Wasn't that on PBS tonight?

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Yup. I'm taping as I'm typing. That's where the inspiration came from.;)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I concur.
    I'm assuming it's Richard(RIP)Tee on piano & keys?

BTW, one of the early Eyewitness albums(Blades? I'm not sure...definitely one of their 1st three, though)has a picture of Jackson playing a 4-string "Jazz"...it looks like a homebrew bass(actually, it looks like one of mine).

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup, Richart Tee.

Are Eyewitness records hard to find? I never tried to look for them...

6. They've been out of print for a good long while now, sadly.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jackson's main studio instrument during the early '70s was "Career Girl", a Precision neck on a Jazz body (all stripped to natural).

He also played a standard Precision (as heard on 'For The Love Of Money').

When AJ first started thinking about extending the range of the bass (caused by practising with Jimmy Smith records), he modified his P-bass, raising the nut and readjusting the truss rod and bridge until the bass felt manageable when tuned down two whole-steps. Jackson played the bass tuned this way on Chaka Khan's 'Naughty Girl' and 'What Cha' Gonna Do For Me'