Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crippled SWR Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeboth, Jun 23, 2003.

1. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Hey all

I picked up a SWR Bigfoot from a pawn store yesterday, the circumstances being such that I couldn't do anything but push a low-volume CD-source signal through the cab before taking it home. Of course, I got it home and discovered that it sounded really bad, without much bass at all. It turns out that one of the 12" drivers is *not* the original Bag End device, but instead some unlabelled speaker (all I know is that it professes to have an impedance of 8 ohms). With the suspect driver disconnected, the remaining original driver sounds good.

Does anyone have any experience with dropping in replacement 12" drivers into these cabs? I'd be considering either an Eminence Gamma (200W) or Delta (300W), the final choicing coming down to which one matches the cab size the closest. I really want to use this cabinet, so resale isn't something I'm considering at this point (keep in mind I live in South Australia, and cheap but good quality bass cabinets are quite rare around here).

TIA for anybody else's experience or advice!

MikeB

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    First thing's first. The reason that replacement speaker sounds bad is only partly because it's cheap. The other problem is that it's not designed for a cab that size. Every 12" speaker out there prefers a different size cab. So you migh just end up with the same sort of misalighment problems you've got now.

To avoid this, I'd recommend posting the measurements of the cab here on TB. We'll work out the volume and then hunt around for speakers that will be happy in that size cab. And as an Aussie, I'll probably be able to narrow the search to speakers that I know can be easily found here.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The speakers may not have been wired properly also and be out of phase. One cone is moving inward while one is moving out... You would probably be best off ordering two new speakers of the same model, www.avatarspeakers.com has great Eminence models for great prices.

4. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Hi Petebass

Yes, I'm well aware of potential problems with the driver not matching the cab. I was hoping for a quick 'yes, I've done it, and if you use driver (x) it will sound fine', before going back to first principals as a fall-back position! :)

One thing I forgot to try was checking the phase of the connections to both speakers - there is so much bass coming out of the single remaining Bag End driver compared to when both are hooked up it's possible they were hooked up out of phase. I'll check that out when I get home.

What options are there around besides Eminence (in Australia)? I've also got one of those 'cheap' Sovtek cabs (with a single Eminence 15" 300W driver) and I'm real happy with that so far. I've got a DIY 2x10" box (using Eminence beta 10s) almost finished, and can't wait to have the flexibility of a 1x15", 2x12" and 2x10" to mix-and-match with!

Cheers

Mike

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There a plenty of options provided you go for a brand that is being imported here. I've found that the US TBers jump in a recommend brands like Maddison and Peerless etc, that we've have to import ourselves, thus making it too expensive.

You seem to have a brand preference for Eminence so we may as well stick to that. Brands like EV, RCF, JBL, B&C, are all available here but they're much more expensive. Actually I've found that P.Audio offer some good value speakers, especially for the price.

The eminence drivers in that Sovtek cab are likely to be no-where near as good as the over the counter eminence drivers. They would have been made by Eminence to Sovtek's specifications, and are probably made as cheap as possible. So if you're happy with these, 2 garden variety Eminence 12's should blow you away - if we can get the right ones that is.

And yeah, check the phase. I didn't think of that but it's a good call...........

6. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Yay! Australians :D <BR><BR>Great score finding anything good bass-related in a pawn shop. I've scoured my locals and not found squat:( <BR><BR>Good luck with your speaker hunting. Would love to make my own cab one day so I am following your driver choices with interest.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Ben

7. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Easy fix - the unknown other speaker *was* connected out-of-phase originally. A quick connection swap and the cab is sounding great. For the moment, I'm happy! I'll leave worrying about replacement drivers to another day and get to practicing!

Edit: no matter what kind of Eminence drivers are used (and I doubt that any Australian-based company would be able to move the number of drivers required to get specially-made ones' from Eminence - I feel its more likely they use 'garden variety') I believe the Sovtek cabs (and they could be called something else now) are good value for Aussies who can't or don't want to pay for a heavy box to be shipped from overseas. Obviously the quality won't be the same as a cab that costs 4x as much, but - hey - many US people seem to be happy with Avatars, and Sovtek/??? new name??? seem to fit the same bill here down under.

Mike

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Any more info on the "Sovtek" cabs? I thought they made tubes. Always interested in reasonable, cheap gear that you can get in Oz :p

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sovtek are actually imported from Russia!

10. I know you fixed the phase on your speaker and it sounds good,now but I thought I'd chime in with my experiance.I traded a SWR Son of Bertha 115 for a SWR 212 cabinet a year ago thinking it was a Bigfoot.Turns out it was a SWR Workingmans 212 with a blown tweeter and Celestion 12s.
    It sounded allright but not great so I thought I'd put different drivers in it.I got hold of a guy that was selling his real Bigfoot and found the dimentions and the porting was the same for both cabs even with different speakers.The internal volume of the cabinet is 4 cubic feet and they have two 3-7/8" ports that are 2-3/4" long.Hope this helps in the future.
    I put Eminence Kappas in mine with a Foster tweeter and the Kappas sound great.Pete could figure what drivers would work best in it with these dimensions.I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

11. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Cool, BB2, that was the sort of info I was after. Those Kappas are rated at - what? - 400W each?!?! Even with the current old Bag End driver and the unknown one, this cab sure does sound great!

I'm sure I was told several times the Sovtek cabinets were assembled locally, but I guess I must be wrong! :cool:

Mike