Crisis! need to replace 15" driver - Gig tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pbassred, Mar 20, 2005.

1. I have a Peavey TNT130 (130W) bass amp. I managed to drop a huge battery through the cone. :crying:
    Its a single 15" 4 ohm driver.
    What would be good to replace it with? I need to get it today (sunday) or tomorrow. I live in North London.
  2. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Nightmare!? Is there anyone else you know who's cab you could borrow in the meantime?
  3. Yes its possible but I'd really like to use gear I know.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    ROFLMAO!!! :D

Sorry, I've been there many times. :bassist:

Eminence makes some good 4 ohm drivers, don't know if they're available on short order in your neck o' the woods, but it might be worth a checkout.

A nice Marshall bass cab might do the trick, or one of those stereo Line 6 deals, might work on a temporary basis. Rental sounds like a good idea, until you can find the one you like. :)
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even if you prefer not to, that's possibly the only way...
    Reconing takes time. Or if you want to replace the 15" driver, then you have to find out where to get it and hope that they have it in stock, then repair it yourself and then just hope that it all works out...
    Find out if you can borrow an amp, and have yours repaired. If it gets ready before the gig, then you're fine, if not, then you can take the borrowed one.
    Good luck!
  6. Yeah thanks but I'm working the Replacement angle right now.

I don't even know exactly what the driver is. It's NOT a Black widow. Its a no-name pressed steel basket thing. So I have no data to compare it to.
  7. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
  8. I need 4ohm. Maplins sells the 8ohm driver.
    Bass shops open on a Sunday?
  9. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Sorry dude, not in London can't really help. Basscentre maybe?:

020 7247 7847

The Bass Centre
    Brune Street
    E1 7NH

10. Seriously doubt you're going to be able to find an open shop in the next 3 hours (before they close), get a 4-ohm 15" bass-voiced speaker that'll work with your 1980s amp *and* install it yourself before tomorrow.

Where are you playing? Will other bands be there? Do they have a decent PA system? Are there any hireshops local open tomorrow?
  11. "install" = solder wires on it and screw it in. 5min. I can do it at the gig if I have to.

Now I'm looking at what I can get on a Monday. I like Eminence, but I'm conciddering options. I wish I knew what the standard driver was.
  12. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Another possible option:

I use the same music store all the time. Maybe you do, too. I would call the dealer and tell him that I need to order a new speaker or re-cone that one (personally, I would opt to get a BW - the difference is night and day!). IN THE MEANTIME. . . does he think he could lend me a combo or raw speaker to use until what I ordered comes in? Most stores rent equipment all the time. He probably has a combo that he rents out frequently that you could "borrow" while yours is being repaired.
  13. Have you tried both? Tell me more. I was thinking BW - If I can find a dealer In London. ( THe Peavey depot is 200 miles away :bawl: ).
    London. One of the busiest city's citys in the world : "We can order it for you sir. STOCK? no sir."
  14. Id have to agree with Rental being the best option, that'll be easier and less stressful!
  15. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I had a TNT about 12 years ago. It was fresh from the factory and I purchased it new. After two gigs, I took it back to the dealer and told him that it simply was not for me. It didn't have the sound that I wanted.

He asked me to allow him to remove the stock speaker (then was a Scorpion) and replace it with a BW. Since it was new, the cost to me would be very small (about $40). I let him change them out, and HOLY COW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It suddenly had all the lows and mids I wanted, and the highs were also better. I used that amp for another three or four years before swapping it for something better. I also honestly believe the volume was better, even though I know that BW's are not "highly" efficient. They may be more efficient than the Scorpion, though, I just don't know.

If you can afford it, try one out.

Another possibility - here, I can get a rebuilt BagEnd 15" delivered to my doorstep for about $120. I don't know about shipping that far, however.

Good luck.
  16. Well I rang arround some of the speciallist Peavey dealers in London and as I expected " could get you one maybe tuesday". So I spoke to the lovely Kirsty at Peavey in Corbey. She told me of the local shop that could fetch it from them but I still had to get to Corby. :eyebrow:

By the time I got to the gig ( have you tried to park in central london?), I had driven 150miles. Loaded all my gear down into the club. I was screwing it all together on the side of the stage as the first band went on. :cool:

I cant say that the Black Widow sounds any different/better, but perhaps a gig at an unfamilliar venue isn't the best test. Anyway It isn't run in yet. We will see. Thanks for all the suggestions. :bassist:
  17. Or maybe it was a BW you had in it before ;)
  18. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A black widow? nope.
    A BW cost £135 and the "other" kind is £79. Still, I'm considering getting it reconed for emergencies or to use in a sub. I have no I dea how much this costs in the UK.
  19. I'll do it for a fiver, all that needs is some duct tape id say