Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crisscross amps: 2 Preamps for two basses,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wneff, Sep 1, 2005.

1. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I finally have a nice, well working solution to one of my gear "problems":

Independently adjusting the sound and the volume of two basses with two amps (one of them is a combo) and mixing the preamps, then re-distributing the signal in a meaningful way so the signal of both basses comes through both speakers.

Now, my current setup looks like in the attachment

The effect return in the iAMP 800 can be used to mix in another source, like a second pre-amp. However, the input is not very sensitive, so in the past I had a hard time using most pre-amps. Therefore I go into the Ebtech that does the signal level shift that I need and de-couples the amps from each other. I can turn off the GK with the iAMP on and I do not hear a loud "pop". So the transformers do a good job decoupling the amps. Also, there is no ground loop, thanks to the Ebtech..

The mixed signal can now be taken from either the headphone out (need special cable - stereo plug out) or the DI out, back into the Ebtech, out into the power amp of the GK.

This way I can independently control the EQ on the two basses and have the signal routed through all three 12" speakers. With the master volume of the iAMP I control overall volume, with the master of the GK I control the GK volume and I can blend it in an much as I like.

Anyone else has an unusual setup like this?

Attached Files:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've done a lot of stuff like that (w/o an ebtech) by running a preamp into the effects return of my swr amp and using the blend control to mix them or just run one at a time.

to split the signal to feed both preamps i usually plugged into the swr, and ran a line from the tuner out (which is pre-preamp) of the swr to the second preamp.