Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Criteria for best bassist?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Chops

13.3%
  2. Groove and feel

74.2%
  3. Harmonic and Melodic parts

14.2%
  4. Virtuosity

15.0%
  5. Knowing their place and playing the right things at the right time

63.3%
  6. Overall listening quality of music

18.3%
  7. intangibles/other

5.0%
  8. Appearance?

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I was just wondering what criteria everyone uses to decide who they think is the "best" bassist. Share your thoughts and vote for what you think are the 2 most imnportant criteria. I'm interested in what votes for "other" are for.

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    All of the above, plus the most important aspect of a bassist evaluation:

- my opinion ;)

3. way to vote for everything except appearance :rollno:

2 votes guys...

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Support with style and persona without taking away from the song.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I chose "chops", but also "groove and feel", because when the two come together, it's amazing...Clarke, Wooten, Hamm, Pastorius, Hellborg, Sheehan, Haslip, S. Bailey...need I go on?

6. I prefer chops to take a back seat to many of the other things. Sure we love to watch Bill Dickens and Victor Wooten play ridiculously hard stuff, it isn't very useful in a situation with 2+ people. Of course, basic skill is necessary, but once you can walk 16ths at 125, how much more do you need to play good music? Give me a nice funk riff over a crazy slap line that is out of place.

7. Lol 1 vote for appearance!

Way to go mmg!

I should just say that virtuosity can be interchanged with versatility. I think that that is missing out on some votes because of some people with substandard vocabulary...... :D

8. I picked the one that starts w/ K and the one that starts w/ O. I would have also picked the groove and feel one.

For the most part being myself (mice elf) would have been the real answer.

9. I'm kinda surprised that chops isn't getting more votes. I didn't vote for it, but it seems that many people find it important in evaluating bassists.

Explain your votes people!!

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If your a virtuoso surely everthing else would come as part of the package? Except maybe looks

11. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    The best bassists make it easier for everybody else around them to sound good. This would be a mixture of "playing the right things at the right time" and "feel". Playing a few notes slightly louder at just the right time, for example.

"Other" also deserves consideration; things like transportation, being on time, being able to communicate with other musicians (read and write music, understand theory), learn songs quickly etc.

12. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    if you are playing the right thing at the right time, everything else will fall into place. except maybe appearance . intangibles such as being reliable and having a good hang (being like minded) should be a given. musicians that are not reliable do not last with me. my time is too valuable. being able to play the right thing at the right time means you could play anything the song requires. add reliability and the hang factor, and you may not end up with the "best player" but you will end up with the right one. for me the right player is far more important than the best. peace, jeff

13. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    I've always seen the bass as the safeguard over the music. Consistent, heavy, and looming. More than that, though, the bass should bring the music to life. It’s the roll of the bass to make people subconsciously nod their heads and tap their feet.

-CWA

14. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    I think they need to have amazing theroy knowledge and great technique

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I voted for "groove and feel" and "virtuosity"...

a bassist that's in the pocket and knows his/her instrument inside and out...that's "the best" in my opinion.

16. Whoa, why was this moved?

17. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    Groove and feel.

It's all about music and the soul of the song.

"Suddenly the question is, "What are you saying with it?" Not "Can you play this lick?" or "What's your speed like?" It's, "What are you saying with your instrument? What is being communicated in this song?" - The Edge - U2

:cool:

PG

18. I totally agree. I've always found chops past a certain extent to be useless except for maybe 2 minutes where you can do a little chop-fest for the audience at gigs. What is more important is your musicianship.

Of course, I have no chops at all :D

"I prefer chops to take a back seat to many of the other things. Sure we love to watch Bill Dickens and Victor Wooten play ridiculously hard stuff, it isn't very useful in a situation with 2+ people. Of course, basic skill is necessary, but once you can walk 16ths at 125, how much more do you need to play good music? Give me a nice funk riff over a crazy slap line that is out of place." - Uhhh, me :cool:

19. Do you really think that this is more important than making a song groove, or complementing other parts with interesting harmonies, or knowing their place in the band, or even being versatile?

Technique is almost meaningless IMO and theory knowledge is good, but everyone at that high level has theory knowledge. Memorizing everything about theory isn't going to help you write better lines than if you have normal theory knowledge.

Maybe you meant something else? Defend your statement, I'm interested.