Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Critical V-Bass isuue!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Of course that "the new star in town" is making waves everywhere...7 of 10 of my bassist friends have gone mad for the V-Bass (me included...).
    The main problem appears when you're watching the GK-2B,I mean the controller part,not the pick-up itself.
    I have a Yamaha TRB-JP (John Patitucci Signature),I'd also like to use it in combination with the V-bass,but I noticed that,actually,there is very little space between the mounted hardware (the potentiometers and string saddle).
    Could anyone of you post a close-up picture of the thing,and also write down the exact measures of that triangled piece?
    Or,better yet,is there somebody who had a similar (spacing) problem?
    And,in the end,if the unit doesn't fit on some odd instruments,how would you solve this? (....maybe another position,maybe another placement?)
    Thanks!

2. I own 2 ESH Sovereigns which I have fitted with a Roland GK2B and an Axon MIDI PU (don't know the exact part number...).

(For the sake of description imagine the bass standing upright.)

I placed the controller part of the PUs below the bridge for playing.
    I can remove it for transport and place it somewhere on the body where normally arm/elbow would be during playing. This is easily done with some adhesive material I don't know the English expression for...

If needed I can make pictures of this.

Regards

ToKo

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Yes,some pics would be appreciated!
    Thanks again!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I did this with my Carvin:
    [​IMG]

Probably depends on how you wear the bass.
    I ended up moving it to my Pedulla, and now I've got the controller attached to my strap which is working much better for me.

that's the back of the bass, I suppose that was pretty obvious... :)

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    THX,XUSH!
    Now,it would be nice if someone could give me the exact dimensions of the GK-2B unit.(the ones marked with "A....E" in the photo).
    The original prospect gives a roughly 80mm(W) x 77mm(D) x 34mm(H),but,obviously,the geometry is far from a rectangle.I'd insist on having the unit mounted near the bridge,instead on the back of my bass....
    Again,thanks to anyone!

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Sorry, I'll get them...
    hang on on sec.

7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Man,you're fast....!
    Do you play the same manner you reply?

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    OK, I've got the dimensions in inches...
    I'm a little too creative for spontaneous math- hang on while I convert.

9. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Lucky me that you offered yourself to convert in mm's....I*d need a math teacher for that...

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    OK, hopefully this'll do:

A=38
    b=80
    c=15.87
    d=79.3
    e=50.8

man I hope I did that right!
    Keep in mind that if you're using the mini-adapter to plug into your bass output jack, that adds about an inch just above where "Roland GK2b" is printed

11. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Much obliged!

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    glad to attempt to help.
    Hope it comes out close!

13. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Yeah,I have now all the needed data regarding the installation of the beast.
    It's only a question of time to buy it,not before I sell my Korg AX1B processor,my Fender BXR Sixty practice amp,my cat,some curtains....(kidding,of course!)
    Thanks again!