Criticism welcomed, Comments appreciated.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Feb 19, 2010.

1. I hated it! Never play music again!

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. It was terrible.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. I was okay, I guess.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. You've got some potential, keep going.

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  5. It was pretty good.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I really dug it!

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Best thing I ever heard (HAHA yeah right.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hey all, I haven't been on the boards in a while. I've missed it.

Anyway, I've been recording some stuff lately. I hope you guys will check it out.

www.myspace.com/EvanMcCann

Everything you're hearing is me. Mainly mindless wanking on da bass, but with some guitar and drums and other random sounds thrown in there too. I use Garagband and just like messing around and having fun. I'm pretty proud of the two most recent ones (Fruit loops, and Spatula Oblongata... can you tell I dont care about song names? haha.), and that's kinda the direction I want to head in.

I'm working on some covers... with vocals. It's scary trying to record yourself singing for the first time. I'll get over it.

If you do listen, I will love you forever and ever. :)

Thanks,
    Evan McCann

2. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    It has definately got potential! Work a bit on your timing on the recording though. Some places you were way of the drums, no offence ofcourse. Keep at it!

Sean

3. Thanks! And yeah, I know. All of my recordings so far have been mainly me messing around. Especially the ones with guitar and drums. I suck at both. I need to stick to just bass, and jam with a few of my musician friends. Haha. I just started taking it seriously, and I'm having a blast so far.

I really appreciate you checking it out. Thanks again. :D

4. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    were you out of time or being "jazzy" I noticed the difference but thought you might be doing it on purpose. Liked it! I'd love it if there was a sick melody from the get go!

5. Which song were you talking about? And, I dont think I was trying to go out of time. I tend to just play whatever I think sounds cool. I have my own sense of internal timing. There are still tons of mistakes though, so it probably was out of time. haha. I'm going through all my stuff and removing mistakes, changing levels, putting effects on it, etc. Trying to take it a little more seriously, but still have fun.

I just got finished with a much improved version of my song called A new view. I'm really proud of it actually. I took my time and made everything how I wanted it. :D

Thanks!

6. Bump-bump-bump it up!

Haha. I bit the bullet, and made a myspace. It's a lot easier to use than my soundclick.

I'm still trying to find time to record some covers... Classes and work dominate my life. Ugh. But I'll be sure to let you know when I do.

7. i dig the way to play

not sure if i like the tone, though.

8. Very interesting stuff Evan! Reminds me of some of solo demos
    ( where I play everything ) Spatula in my humble opinion is the most developed. IMHO interesting stuff just needs to be developed.

9. Thanks so much!

Yeah, I started out just totally messing around, mainly with throwing around loops and other pre recorded stuff. Then I got the idea to start throwing in my own bass lines and guitar parts. I learned how bad I am at guitar very quickly, and drums the same. I didn't even try vocals yet... haha.

But I've been busy with classes, work, and trying to fit in time to practice. I have a bunch of covers in mind to record. Once I find the time, I'll let you guys know.

And yeah, these are all rough home demos. The worst recording I have is the one called fruit loops. Which is funny, because that's one of my favorite one's. I just really need to put more some time into it. I'm hooked now that I finally started recording! :bassist:

Oh and by the way, "Gamma Ray" is basically a less developed, and much rougher version of Spatula. I love the way the newer recording sounds. the Gamma version is rrrrrrooouugh. Some parts were just copied and pasted, and you can tell. I was just having too much fun.

10. hey man i was diggin on spatula, if you got a couple more people in there you might have something

11. Thanks! I really appreciate it. This summer, when a lot of my musician friends come home from college, I'm definitely going to try to get a little more serious. We'll see if that actually happens. Haha

:bassist:

12. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I'm at work and our computer has these really crappy speakers that are built into the monitor so they sound like crap and it's hard to hear everything but the bass itself sounded pretty cool.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021