1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Criticize my design!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Giel, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Ok, after succesfully finishing my first bass project whit a warmoth neck, I'm now in the designing fase of a bass build entirely by me..
    So I have 2 designs ready.
    Design A is a double-cut
    Design B is a single-cut..

[​IMG]

Just wondering what you guys think of it, I'm just wondering what design you guys prefer.. Feel free to make suggestions..
    Never mind the headstocks, already made up my mind for them, it will be headstock 1.

Also, you think the P-MM-J pickup configuration is good idea? I've never seen it before..

So I'm looking for some honnest opinions and/or suggestions..
    Thanks!

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    too many pickups, too close to each other as well. Thats bound to create problems. I like both body designs.

3. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I really like them both but i'd prefer the double cut allot more. I would sugesst however trying to thin out the upper hornjust a little bit. its a bit fat and square for me.
    Good choice on headstck i like it
    As far as the pickups go i'm probly wrong but i think the J is going to be way to close to the bridge if the M is in the right place. Dunno how it would affect the tone but not great i think. perhaps get a M pickup with coil switching
    My 02 cents
    Mule

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I like both designs, love the 'stock, but I don't know about the p'up layout.

5. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks! I'm glad you like the designs, I like
    About the pickups:
    I'm not sure about them myself.. I want the MM pup to be in the same position as it is in a Stingray.. Same for the P, I want it to be in the same position as in is in an original P-bass..
    I added the J for some more brightness, and I guess it's gone give some nice growl..

I'll post some pics when I start project

Thanks!

6. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wont the growl be provided by the MM pickup?

7. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I guess so.. Guess it's gonna be a growly little bass then.. But I like that..
    Oh well, I'm not shure, it depends on my budget.. Maybe I'll put 2 J's in it.. In warwick thumb posistion.. Should give it some growl aswell..
    First, I'll have to buy some wood.. Damn I'm gonna have great time building this bass.. Basses are so cool..

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like the double cut, but on both basses the butt end looks a little ackward to me. good luck!

9. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I like both body designs, a little Drozd-ish which is cool...

The "buzzard" headstock needs to go as well as the "cornucopia" pup config.. Go with a simpler layout; double Js, P/J, MM, MM + J (Lakland), soapbar, etc.... Too much clutter distracts from it IMO..

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I believe that the only way to accomplish this is to "flip" the P pickup, therefore having the D and G, or treble, half of the pickup laying closer to the neck rather than the bridge. Look up Sandberg basses to see what I'm talking about.

Good choice on the headstock. I like it.

I don't know the advantages of having a Single-Cut bass, but I prefer the double cut. I agree with the above poster about thinning out the upper horn to more of a point. I would probably round out the body a bit more. IMO, it looks a bit "squat" or "stout." If it were my bass, I'd bring the lower horn closer to the body, to make it less "Warwick-y" but that of course is just personal preference and thus trivial.

I also agree with the recommendation for the MM pickup with 3-way switching, since you could have the MM sound and a close rendition of a J-type sound. I don't know how well a J pickup will work that close to the bridge, but it would be interesting to see (and hear) the results.

Another thought would be to put the J pickup between the P pup and the neck, to have the ability to get a sort of "super-dub" sound. A Dimarzio Model One pickup would certainly be interesting, but I think I'm getting carried away. Any thought about Piezo pickups? :D

Since you're in the design phase, what you do you have in mind for the electronics? A two-pickup bass is relatively easy to wire with a blend knob or two volume knobs, but how would you do pickup switching with three pickups? I know that the piezo-equipped HH Bongos have a blend knob for the two humbuckers and then a knob that blends the entire HB signal and the piezos. Of course, you could always just have toggles or pickup switches, but I think that blend knobs would be best for ultimate versatility.

What woods are you planning on using?

11. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies, possitive stuff!
    For the pickups, I think I'm gonna loose the J.. My other custom bass had 2 EMG-45TW pickups which I really like but it doesn't get me that P-sound.. So for this new bass I defenitly want something with a P.. So it's gonna be a P-MM.. Should sound good is guess, though it looks rather, uhm.. weird..
    Good idea for the piezo's! I might do that..
    For the rest of the electronics, I have the funds I'm gonna go with the U-retro deluxe preamp, and I allready was planning on using a 3 way switch for the MM..

The wood:
    Neck: Wenge + Purpleheart
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Body: White korina (like my other bass, killer tone wood!)
    Top: Not shure, I think something to make it look expensive..

12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You should tame the curve of the body along the control area and on the left side- that's where your arm will cross the top of the body when you are playing and it looks to me like that sharp edge would saw right through it!

Lonnybass

13. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Slightly different design.. And got rid of the J..

[​IMG]

LonnyBass:
    As far as for the ergonomics, I don't think the sharp edge is gonna cause much of a problem, my other bass has an edge thats even sharper sharper than this one and it doesn't give me any problems, but thanks for the input :)

Hope to be posting some "progress" pics soon..

14. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I like that the best. The headstock #2 you had in the first post...Yuk!

For some reason the upper horn makes me think Rickenbacker :meh:

I would also go with a J pickup instead of the P. It would give you a bit more room between the end of the neck the pickup. If you are a slapper, that is a good thing.

15. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    1 and B with 2 bartolini soapbar pickups.

16. i like 1A

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It looks pretty nice, are you going to put any contours on it? What kind of controls will you be using for the P/MM pickups?

18. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Well yeah, I could use a J instead of the P, but my other bass has 2 EMG 45TW pickups, so with that bass I allready can get a tone similair to a J and a MM (well at least a dual coil)..
    I don't have any bass whit a P so I really want this want this one to have a P..
    If I really want more room to slap I could always let it have 24 frets, instead of the 26 the design has..

Yeah I will put contours on it, it think contours make basses look so much better!
    As for the controls, I'm not shure but I think I'm gonna go with the U-retro preamp and ad a 3-way switch for coil tapping..
    Not shure about the brand of the pickups either, I was thinking about the Basslines pickups.. Or something else whit exposed poles..

19. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    I like your refined version best, although I would prefer the curve at the bottom to be a little rounder where it meets the sides. I especially like the way the line from the upper horn flows into the lower bout. I think rounding it (just a little more) at the bottom would carry that flow a little more.

It looks like you have room move the bridge back some, too.

Check out this link, on the bottom left there's a link to "wood theory" that might help with selecting the wood. Supposedly some of the growl is in the wood you choose, but I'd bet that pickups are the major factor. Personally I like Bartolini best.

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/index.htm

Good luck !

20. If no one has mentioned it yet (I didn't see this comment :ninja: ), the bridge seems further from the butt of the bass than on traditional basses - intentional design or oversight?

EDIT - someone beat me to it while I was writing, typical...