Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Critique my Band/Playing/Tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lackey, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Silversky,, moody type rock, three piece band, both songs approx 4 minutes,, pretty good quality.

Any advise on the bass tone/overall production quality would be highly appreciated,, as would letting us know if we suck or not ;) .

Right click and choose "Save Target As"

http://www.silversky.net/mp3/01 The Aftermath.mp3 : recorded with MTD Kingston 5er

http://www.silversky.net/mp3/01 Rest.mp3 : recorded with Carvin LB76 fretless

UPDATE 10/11/03 : NEW SONG

Recorded totally direct Carvin fretless into mixing board. "I Never Knew Why". 224Kbps, so it might take awhile for all fellow 56kers....

http://sky.prohosting.com/silv615/music/i_never_knew_why.mp3

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nice! the Basses sound good. I liked Aftermath better then Rest... but the '#9 breathing from Parasite Eve 2' sound should be burried a little deeper. I'd like 'Rest' a couple clicks quicker... but it's all good. Nice job!

Makes me want to go dig out the first 2 'Toad the wet sprocket' disks and chill :cool:

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    The Aftermath - Not a fan on the sfx (guitar I think?). Not just that they're there, but I think there are sounds that would be better, but of course thats IMO. Your playing is solid, and fairly creative - just good overall. Tone is nice for the style, and the only thing I can say is that I generally have more treble/snap to my sound, but your tone is still good.

Rest - Band is just as nice sounding overall, and the cricket noises are gone ;) Your fretless tone is great. Good song.

Overall, good stuff :cool:

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah,, sorry about the "breath/scrape" sound on The Aftermath,, myself and the drummer are trying to get rid of that (or at least minimize it).

Rhythm section only has so much control :rolleyes:

Keep 'em coming!

5. You guys sound pretty good, but......

1.) Gotta get rid of that background breathing thing.
    2.) I think it could use some vocal harmony, but I think that about everything.
    3.) Really gotta get rid of that background breathing thing.

I like your playing. It reminds me of me, so that's a good thing I guess.:D I also found myself feeling like the drums in 'Rest' got a little redundant.

Overall, really good stuff. I'd buy it.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OH,, also forgot to mention,, Rest doesnt have our drummer playing,, just electronic beats. We haven't finished recording yet, these are NOT the finished product. Was also told today by our guitarist/vocalist that the FX loop on The Aftermath is NOT going to be on the final cut! *joy*

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    no suckage detected from this end. I quite enjoyed the material. I'd buy an album too. Anal Bum covers for $300 alex...

I like the vibe. Pretty groovy stuff. I find it hard lately to 'enjoy' songs for what they are; years of production/recording/engineering tend to make me analyze too much, but this just kind of flowed and I found myself able to get into the song and I dig it.

Thanks for sharing!

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I liked Aftermath. Sounds good to me.:)

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think your bass sounds really nice.. You play a solid line, Nice growl... Your singer doesn't sing on pitch on several notes... when he sings "if i could turn back" between turn and back, the note just sounds unpleasing to me, its not really bad... but he isn't supporting so he is singing just underpitch

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah,, I don't think he's sung in the lower range very much,, but he's working on it. He'll get better at It quickly no doubt.

.... Gee,, why am I so defensive?

pride I guess :D

because we aint puhrfekt!

11. skinnyemo77

skinnyemo77

Aug 19, 2003
    hey, i'm the singer/guitarist...

(i can hear the bootsteps of all you bassists in cowboy hats surrounding me and saying "we dunt take kinely to yur type 'round har boy", and me with a lump in my throat replying "now look, i don't want any trouble...")

thanks for the feedback you guys, all of us in the band appreciate it.

with that said, it's only a demo, so base your criticism with that in mind.

i pussed out on a lot of vocal lines and took the thing in two takes just to get ideas down. it'll be sung much more acurately and differently on the recording.

the guitar tone is pretty sterile on the demo as well, that'll change.

i kinda feel like this demo is not very indicative of how good the bass tone is on it. the bass frequencies translated very poorly when i mixed it down and burned it to cd-r. so unless you have a subwoofer system for your comp, it probably doesn't have the same ummmph that it did when i mixed it in my headphones.

if you do have a subwoofer system, crank the bass knob on it, that should help :bassist:

take it easy you guys, thanks for the kind and not so kind words, both are taking happily.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    This is really good stuff. Not my normal listening at all, but I'd buy a disc for sure. Do what you said you were going to do so far, and I think that you guys would have 2 really good songs. I'm espeically digging the Aftermath.

Bass tone and playing is great. :)

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    bump for update..