1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Critique my band's website!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    My band recently got our website established, and we're currently in the process of polishing it up for public release. A few things obviously need changing, like our name should be bigger, we shouldn't be as redundant with what photos we use, our gig schedule could be laid out nicer, etc... but I'm sure there are other things we're missing that will probably be more obvious to fresher eyes. Let me know what you think, and thanks! :)

http://tamethehurricane.com/news.cfm

2. Have you thought about having some sort of emailing list for fans to sign up so that you can email them updates--like concert dates, recordings that will be released, fun/interesting/relevant news in the lives of the band and/or its members?

I saw the FB and Twit links, but a lot of artist sites that I've been to have a place to join a list for email news from the band.

3. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Good idea! We'll be sure to add that in. We probably need to add links to our Tumblr and Soundcloud as well.

4. your band logo should be visible on the website beyond just in the picture of your merch. also get a pretty girl to model the merch.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I didn't check out all the details of the site.I didn't need to, you guys are Pros, your groovin and the band looks great.

From a guy that been watching the trends of pop music for the past 50 years;

You guys are top shelf.

Blue

6. GAPendragon

GAPendragon

Jun 6, 2011
    UK
    The font comes up a little large on my screen and the rollover images are a little hard to read with the outer glow. I don't know if that color was chosen specifically but it is actually possible to change the color of the glow in Photoshop. It looks pretty good in general though.

7. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Great catch. I never realized our logo only shows up once or twice on the whole thing.

We've also been thinking of getting some girls to model for us to help bridge the sex gap. That said, the bulk of our audiences tends to be guys, so I'm not sure how important or strategic that is to do at the immediate moment.

Thanks, Blue. We still have a long way to go, but we've been making some good strides lately.

The font was bugging me a little bit, too. We'll be sure to rework it some :)

Thanks again, everyone. This kind of input really does make a difference!

8. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i think it's really good. the only problem i had is i can't access the videos on your demo page w/my phone.

not the end of the world but could make a difference sometime. maybe.

good looking and easy to navigate otherwise i thought.

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Awesome stuff. Enjoy your sound lots.
    Definitely add the sound cloud links.
    Individual bios when you have the chance to add.
    Good job overall on the site!!!

One of the vids is a bit rough...hard to hear...the one on the top right. Might consider taking that one out. The other two are great, especially Green Burner. I watched that one to the end.

10. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i hear constant contact is pretty good for that, no personal experience w/it though.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Well, you guys are light years ahead of a lot if the bands I've checked out.

Blue

12. props on actually having a website tho. so many bands don't. facebook won't be around forever.

if most of your fans are guys then I'd say cute women modeling your merch is even more important.

13. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Does the trick, and if it's easy to update, you're good to go.

My comments would be:
    -- definitely make an email signup available
    -- replace the Bauhaus98 or whatever that typeface is for the band name and use your logo instead, maybe the symbol, circle and type in white so the photo shows through behind it (especially since the name is in the mark).
    -- replace the image-based navigation and just use a regular typeface, as it's better for Search Engine Optimization and web accessibility
    -- add more line spacing in the type on the bio page; that thick of a typeface with no line height/leading is a little difficult to read
    -- "must-see" should be hyphenated

Those are just details, though. I like that the content is limited and curated. It's all easy to digest quickly, and the site works well as a One Sheet.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Exactly, I looked at it for 10 seconds and said;

" I get it, I'm on board with these guys"

Blue

15. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    This is some really awesome stuff that we can use (especially the bolded bit).

Our goal was to make the website as simple and easy to navigate as possible. I know that as a consumer I hate websites that are overly complicated and hard to traverse, so it's good to hear that we've managed to avoid having that issue.

16. All the MORE reason to use some hot chicks in your merch.

Sex sells !

17. i wouldnt have your links at the very tippy top. i missed them the first time i checked your site out.

18. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Hot chicks it is then :D

Could making them bigger help? I actually didn't have that issue when I first saw the site, so I'm curious how common an issue that is.

19. it could be that i'm used to looking at my own band's site.

http://meetatsundown.com/

Obviously not perfect and the same thing isn't right for everybody. Personally I think it looks better to have them below your logo. YMMV.

20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Agree with the comments above, great site! Definitely lose the skinny white guy in the t-shirt and get a pretty girl to fill it out.

Two other thoughts - individual band member photos and short bios are always nice, I know I often look to see who is in the band and what their background is.

Also, have you thought about having one of your tunes in the background? ALways nice to click on a band's site and hear them straight-off without having to click through to the music page.

Last question - do you mind my asking how you produced this site? Did you use an online service and build your own, or did you hire someone to do it for you?

We have just retooled our band and want to scrap and totally redo our site. Your experience would be a big help.

Keep up the good work - wish I lived closer, looks like you guys put on a great show!