Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

critique my body designs please... multiple pictures

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Mar 11, 2006.

1. I can see the "to pointy" comment coming again.. but i hope you guys can like a couple of these...

ive been trying to make designs that are unique and yet pleasing to the eye... not necicsary in odd angles and things... well.. you can see for yourself

Double Cuts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Single Cuts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No cuts: only one, and its a bit wierd
    [​IMG]

feel free to mutilate these designs... I mean, im just drawing what i like to see, i really havent had any experiance holding what ive designed or anything..

thanks!

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    You've got some pretty interesting ideas. You might want to check out the other threads that hold other desing criticisms. You'll find things that'll fix problems of balance, comfort, and playability. Two things I'll say before you start searching threads: 1) I see that you're drawing on graph paper and to scale. That's really great, because most people present a simple sketch and say, "How does this look?" However, you're body's seem a bit short and thin. The upper horn should generally reach the 12th fret (or position). A good standard width is about 12" or 13"...but that's more of a personal preference. With a body your size, though, you might see some neck dive. Also, try and center the body on the neck, so that it is asthetically even. I noticed on a few that they were slightly lopsided. 2) Start thinking about which hardware you would like to use and incorportate those into your design. If you want two jazz pickups and you draw a pickguard with an MM bar in there...it'll look a lot different than expected.

Looks like a great start though. Can't wait to see one of these in material form!

-Josh

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I really like where you are going with this one, it still needs a bit of refining, but the overall flow is really good.

I'm not a big fan of the other two, the upper horn on both of them bother me, the first is just plain too big, the second could have structural issues as it get pretty thin where it connects to the body.

This one is the better of the two single cuts, I'm not the biggest fan of either of them, but this one is quite a bit better IMO, however, if it were me, I'd work with the width of the body in comparison to the upper horn area, it seems a little out of whack. but not bad...

I actually really like where you are going with this, its totally different and pretty cool. you'll have horrible neck dive problems with this one though, I'd work on somehow getting the upper strap button to attach arround the 12th fret or so. but its got a nice vibe to it.

keep on drawin' bro, you've got some great ideas.:bassist:

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice... i like the basic shapes, but just one thing: they look very off center to me. keep it up. i'm in the process of designing right now, also.

5. now that you guys mention that, i see it... looks like everyone of those (save the jazzy version which is the other way around, and double cut #2) are lop sided to the top... ill work on it a bit more...

I guess im having trouble getting the correct size body in my head... i was thinking a normal body would fit in the perameters of 16 by 12? or is that to little?

ill work on "filling them out" soon... but ive got a party to go to tonight... good ol birthdays... seem to roll around every year...

wonder why that is :p

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i've been using quarter inch graph paper, and i set each square to be a 2"x2". the drawings are somewhat small, but it's good for sketching a lot of them on one sheet so you can compare them. what i did was take one of my basses and measure the stuff, then transfer the measurements to the paper. i drew a box that was 17x6 squares. this is enough room for the space between the nut and the bridge (34") and enough room to perfectly fit a 12" wide body.

7. Im definitely thinking about going out and buying some graph paper with 1x1 inch squares...

i think it would help if it were the same size as real life...

hopefully i can pick one up at the local hobby lobby....

also:

things havent been going so hot redoing these... its kinda hard for me to do... I donno why, but every bass I draw that meets the requrements look really bulky...

maybe im just picuring a body thats to small..

this is why i should get the real life size graph paper...

8. The design that I like the most is this:
    [​IMG]

It is the most unique, but I think that it could still use a bit of work, such as moving the body a bit further up the neck...

9. Word...

I made a bass very similar to that last one from walnut and zebrawood. Access to the higher frets is a pain in the ass, and above all, the neck dive.

10. yeah... basically, the last bass was a fashon statement bass for your wanting-to-look-stylish-and-unique-but-im-not-going-to-play-way-up-in-the-ozone-on-my-bass player... i have to figure out what to do about the neck dive (ie. wieghts and stuff) but it sounded like you used some heavy wood...

i just have to think.. lol

11. the 2nd single cut is my favorite

12. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    like it was said before #3 looks very promising but could still use a tweak here and there

13. New addition:

[​IMG]

she wouldnt look to bad with the spalt
    [​IMG]

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    looks kinda like a Lecompte... i like Lecompte's :) .

15. do you like the picguard? do you think its a bad idea?

I mean, i wouldnt mind just having a polished black pickguard... but i have a feeling i might get alot of negitve votes for that one....