1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Critique my Craigslist ad

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, Jun 29, 2012.

1. I have just started as a new teacher at a local studio, and the owner asked me to put out some Craigslist ads to see if I could expand my client base (and theirs).

I'll be doing beginner guitar (string name, chords, hot cross buns, some top 40 pop/rock/metal/country songs, technique, etc.) however, they have had a bass teacher there for 6 years that gets preference. I will get bass students he can't take as well as any I attract through advertising or whatever.

EDIT: Didn't even know I posted this yet. I need to stop posting at 3 AM.

Here's the link: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/muc/3107918224.html

2. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    so... wheres the ad?

3. See above. Didn't know I had hit post. Sorry about that.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My critique: Too many words. Cut cut cut. People on the internet don't take time to read (sadly).

Don't say you've been playing "a couple of years." A "couple" means "two" and I'm going to assume that means you're not really all that good or experienced. Just say you have experience both on stage and in the studio.

Cut all references to even the simplest theory. A beginner has no idea what an interval is or why it might be easier to learn than a chord. The STUDIO might have wanted to know what your approach is, but the only people who will be able to decipher that are the ones who already know it, and they aren't your potential students. Just tell people that you're flexible, will meet the student where they are, and can help them learn any style.

I'm wondering about the bit about you providing equipment. On the one hand, I can see that as a draw, but then, I assume you're students won't be taking your gear home with them - so how will they practice?

Oh, and be braced for a gaggle of 12-year-olds who all want to play Taylor Swift.

Good luck!

5. I do have that problem with words.

I was trying to find a way to describe my teaching method, which is easier than the average teacher. But I can't find a way to say it. I feel like it would be a potential draw.

I'll make some reductions later.

And about the equipment: it gives people a chance to hold the instrument in their hands before buying one. They can play it for a couple lessons and see if they start to get a feel for it. This is especially a draw with parents. School's out for summer and parents want to give their kids something to do, but many don't want to buy a new instrument.

I know I was shocked that a bass was so heavy the first time I played one, but within the first week, my guitar teacher noted that I was a natural on the bass and that it fit me way better on guitar (I had been taking guitar lessons from him then).

Whether it makes sense or not, it makes sense to enough people out there that I figured I'd offer.

I have taught before, and yes I imagine I'll get a bunch of people trying to play Taylor Swift and a bunch of 12-16 year old boys wanting to play Lamb of God and Slipknot. That's OK with me though. A job's a job and experience is experience.