Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Critique my creation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NoGraveConcern, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Ok, so I'm boored at work and though I would post a few pictures to see what you all think. About a year and a half ago I got the itch to build my own guitar. I wanted to do a bass, but it was just a lot cheaper and simpler to do a guitar so that's what I went with. Check it out and let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

2. Back side

[​IMG]

3. i like it. the body reminds me of a conklin. very nice.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Very cool :)

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Honestly, I'm not too keen on the body shape--the horns are a bit too much for me--but I very much like what you did with the neck joint. I'm a guitar player too, and it bewilders me why so many bolt-on makers--even some very pricy ones--still insist on the old Fender-style rectangular-plate-plus-wood screws-on-big square block approach.

6. What's the story behind the neck bolts and their location?

7. Yeah, they aren't exactly even. I redid the neck joint so that's why they are that way and also explains the two dark spots on the upper part of the neck heel. The whole thing was kind of experimental.

8. Man, that's the best part! Makes it really comfortable on the shoulder. The whole idea of building a guitar from scratch is to end up with something that doesn't look like a Stratocaster so I think I accomplished that.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Oh, I completely agree about not looking like a Strat. I'm not a big fan of Strats for my own purposes; if I never see another Stratoid in my life, I'll be fine. It's just that your particular solution to the body shape issue isn't the way I would have gone. But that doesn't really matter--it's your guitar, not mine! Kudos for coming up with something different, and enjoy playing it.:cool: