1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Critique my Demo Part I: Classical Thing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Reynoldbot, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Howdy folks,

My band Robots from the Future is in the process of writing and recording our second album, and I'd love to hear your opinion of the material. So here's the deal: I've posted demos of some of our new stuff on the band's website, and for each thread I want to hear your comments on the specific song I mention. Feel free to critique our other stuff too, but I'd prefer each thread to be about a single song.

For this, the first thread, I direct you to the song tentatively titled "Classical Thing", which can be found under the album titled "Miscellanous":

http://www.robotsfromthefuturemusic.com/music.html

Notes on "Classical Thing":

-Lyrics are being written and will most likely take the place of the soloing guitar melody
    -Guitar may be done electric instead of acoustic
    -I already told the guitar player to tone it down on the reverb
    -This may end up being a piece of a longer song

So what do you think? What do you like or dislike about it? Do you like my bassline? How's the length?

2. I think it would be more interesting if it was faster. I know that sounds kind of petty but I felt like the intro dragged a bit, also maybe compress the guitar so it's more consistent kind of fades in and out at time.. I think it needs some elements that carry the "movements" together maybe more bass in the intro through the third section. I like the Bill Laswell-like bass maybe a little more bottom to get that thump.

Hope that's not too much input, I enjoying listening to it and the other tracks. Nice website too.

3. Thanks for the input, blipndub. I think the guitar track is like one step up from a scratch track, so its' pretty sloppy. We'll try it sped up at the next rehearsal to see how it sounds. Our drum and synths programmer Matt still has to have his go at it, so I suspect most of the sections will get quite a bit of attention from him.

I designed the website, and the Robots font, and the album cover for "Miscellaneous", so I'm glad you like it. Any critiques of the site design is welcome too.

4. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I think that if you added an electronic sounding ping pong panned percussion (a la Radiohead and plenty of others) after one of the first breaks (not a full drum beat, just something to keep the heartbeat of the song) it would be a lot more interesting. It's mellow ambient listening music, so if that was the goal it was achieved.

5. Nice lefty Jag by the way, that's kind of a rare cat.

6. I'll pass that along to the synths/drums programmer Matt. Thanks for the input!

Thanks! Yeah they aren't available here in the states, so I had to have it imported from Japan. That color (Old Candy Apple Red) is also not available in the US.

DSCN1113.jpg

7. GokceKacmaz

GokceKacmaz

Feb 18, 2008
    I think it is ok with acoustic guitar... You do not need an electric one in this song.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021