Critique my fretless

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Murf, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hi guys/gals,
    Me and "The Boys" are doing an industry showcase fairly soon so we've set up a rough myspace thingy with a few tracks on it, now, I've listened and played these tracks so often I've gone deaf to them so I'd be grateful if you guys could critique my fretless (intonation, tuning etc.).

The URL in question is

and the track is "Fallen from Grace" takes a while to kick in as its a rough mix and is missing a small vocal intro part so just bare with it.

Thanks in advance,

2. Tuning and intonation sound very good to me. You guys all sound great together. I wouldn't change a thing.
  3. doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    wow thats really nice. just as the guy above said, your intonation is right on. nice flow to it.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice songs. Nice bass playing. Nice tone. Nice intonation.

From your signature:
    My brother is a fantastic guitar player and a great singer, and he would agree. He pointed out to me that the vocalist is relying on the bass for singing intonation (concious or not), so when playing a fretless in a vocal band, intonation is hugely important.
  5. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the feedback, we had to record these tracks very quickly so we played them all live in the studio in one day (apart from some "topping & tailing" with pro-tools later and the obligatory vocal and guitar overdubs)..I was a bit concerned because while recording the fretless parts I unknowingly was standing in front of one of the 4 sub woofers in the studio so I couldnt really hear note definition just a huge BOOOOM.

I agree in fact during our first run-through of the track I pitched slightly sharp on one of the notes which in turn affected the vocalist..(so much so that he couldnt sing in tune until I corrected my pitch).

Personally the 4 tracks on myspace are the weakest.. imo the other tracks are a lot funkier and more uptempo....

shhhh I didnt say that though