critique my photography

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 17, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive got pictures of Braid, Life at Sea, and... that other band with some of Hey Mercedes members in it. Im not really a fan, but my friends are and Im like the official show photagrapher as long as Im not the one playing. :)

Its good stuff, but nothing crazy.

My advice is to just take a crapload of pics whenever you go out. Just go nuts. Eventually you'll figure out what really works.
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    generic. but fun.
  4. AHA !!!

A fellow night exposure guy !!!

Were you using a tripod?

Try this formula:

1) Camera on tripod
    2) Shutter set to B and use a cable release.
    3) Lens set to f5.6
    4) Using 100 ASA film, start at five seconds, and make 4 or 5 exposures of the same scene increasing the exposure to 10, 15, 20 seconds until you get a result that pleases you. After a roll or two you'll start to get a sense of how long an exposure differently lit scenes will need. You can also try the lens at f4 for shorter exposure times. You can also use faster film, but the results will be grainier.
    5) Write down the settings for each shot !!!

If we're talking about digital cameras, I know nothing.

I liked the shots of the rippled sky too.

I'll try to write more later.

Photography... :hyper:

Mike :)
  5. They're not black and white enough. :smug:

I likes me some black and white photography.

Get yourself some ilford C-41 process "black" and white film...not true B&W (more like blue and white....), but you'll appreciate it more than standard color shots....the saturation is nice, and the contrast better than color...

and, you can get yer results in an hour. v:O)~

Also, work your composition a bit more. Don't try to be so arty or random with angled shots...don't be afraid to chop someone's hair off to frame in a cool shot. Less background, more subject. :D Of course, I'm talking of tha band photos....

Give it a shot, it's only a couple bucks a roll.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    MOst of these shots were taken when the oppurtunity came. I'm an amateur at it. And yes, they're digital.
  7. I've seen the writing on the wall, and digital is getting up there in quality, but really, get yerself a cheapo workhorse SLR like a K-1000 or something and snap off some film! Muck with the f-stops, try different speed film and exposure times...

We all start off amateurs.

What you using for a digi?
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I was using a FujiFilm Digipix, but I lost that, and now I'm using a Pentax Optio.
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The good side in digis is that you can snap all the pics you want, just remember to delete the bad ones so that no-one know :smug:

I'm not a pro nor even a seasoned hobbyist by any means, but I think when photographing gigs, it's important to respect the lightning. You need to be very careful with the flash, if you can't control it better not use it at all if there's some cool gig lightning going on. Plus, a hand-held camera is a bad one - I would be getting something like a monopod - just an adjustable stick but it helps keeping the camera still which directly translates into less blur.

A while ago I took some pics from friends bands gigs, they can be found under this link: - mine are the Kempelehalli and 45 Special ones. These were taken with a cheap 2Mpix digicam, without flash or any support so they tend to be quite grainy and have blur, but I think some of them capture the action quite nicely.

I think the main question is not "how can I make this look cool", but "how can I express how it looks to me" - it's about picking the details which make the scene.
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    awesome cloud shots.
  11. Amadeus

Apr 16, 2002
    If you really want to improve you photography, please visit Ask bass question on a bass site, photo questions on a photo site. Yes, you will get feedback here, but from a population of, well, bass players who do not know what to look for. Post you pictures on a photography site and you will receive contructive critism to make your next shots better. (Not saying you won't improve by asking questions here, but you'll improve faster by asking the right people.)

Attached are two images taken Sunday night, hand held with a dSLR. No editing, straight off the camera. Low light photography is as much an art as playing bass. Lots of details to pay attention to that the 'common person' would never know about nor understand.

Edit: Can anyone name the band in my photos?
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree. Im still trying to learn more about my camera's controls so I can take the kind of shots I want when I want. Low light shots are the hardest without a doubt!
  13. Nice to see that you have the bug. You have a good eye, but need to work on the technical end and composition.

Tech: At night tripod with a shutter release cable is a must. If you can lock up the mirror on your camera this will help greatly. Your overall exposure is good, but I can tell that you are relying to much on the cameras on board matrix metering. The photos lack POP. If your camera can switch to 80/20 center metering or 1% spot metering experiment with them . try to isolate a subject (cool grainy tree with knarly roots) and get a good exposure for that. remember your cameras meter always wants to turn everything to 50% greyso take a spot reading on a highlight and expose for 2 stops higher. experiment with different exposures and see how to make the subject POP.

Composition : You've got to learn to see how the camera sees in 2d. close one eye and see how you lose all you depth perseption. Thats what the camera see's. get rid of all the distrations in your shot. realy spend some time in the viewfinder anylising the scene.

Soon you will turn your oppertunity cool snap shots into art! Hey I've stood hip deep in a swamp with alligators circling for 2 days just to get the right shot!!!

Keep it up, your work is promising!!!!!
  14. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I saved some of the pictures of the rolling clouds if you don't mind. I like them, they're trippy :) . I want to get a digital camera because I like scenery myself. I was also thinking about taking a photography class.
  15. Not bad, some nice shots there. The flash kills the atmosphere, but it´s better than no photos at all. I suggest you experiment with longer shutter times, and try to find out the longest time you can take reasonably sharp pictures with. Support the camera against a table, wall or something. If that´s not feasible, try to hold the camera firmly in your hand, and be careful not to move it when you take the picture: squeeze the button, don´t push it. And remember that digital cameras have some delay so hold still for a while after squeezing.

With proper support and practise you can go as slow as 1/8 of a second. Combined with a 2.8 aperture and 400 ASA sensitivity, it can give you good results in surprisingly low light situations.

You can take some cool pictures with long shutter times AND flash, if your camera allows it. Here´s one I took some time ago:

I also urge you to try different angles. Over your head, knee height... possibilities are endless. Digicams and their LCD displays are nice because they make shooting from different angles very easy. For example, shooting from low angles is a handy way of avoiding too busy or otherwise ugly backgrounds. If you had taken some pictures of "The Holiday" from the height of your knee, you could have used that christmas light contraption on the ceiling as an interesting background. Low angles are also more dramatic. Again, I´ll shamelessly use one of my own pics as an example (check out the bass rig :)):

But all in all, not bad. Keep on shooting, practise makes perfect and all other cliches ;) Also, learn some photo editing. Many of your pics would benefit considerably from some careful brightness and contrast adjustments.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    the cloud pictures are cool.....the band pictures just look like all others, nothing special......

what band is in your pics Amadeus? dixie chicks?

17. Amadeus

Apr 16, 2002
    Bite your tounge. ;) Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
  18. Some tips from a career graphics guy...

- You don't need to take every pic from eye level. Try up, down and skewing your subject within the frame. Interesting things can happen.

- It's probably not your fault but having a "shutter" speed up so high that it totally freezes everything can make for some pretty static looking shots. A little motion blur (once you get the hang of it) can be a nice hint for the viewer that something was actually going on.

- Try cropping your subjects a little more. The extraneous background info just complicates what should be a simple image. Look at the great examples above. If they aren't shot tight to keep the trash out, they are shot dark to keep it from being seen. And though your subjects may fear close-ups, you shouldn't when you're behind the camera. Those can be some of your most expressive images.

- You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. Let's face it - a band without lights, in a dark venue, isn't going to produce a Rolling Stone cover. Pick and choose your subjects discretion if you are going for art. If you are going for just recording the event, you are doing fine.

- All light doesn't have to come from the viewers side of the subject. Having light sources behind the subject can sometimes be just what's needed to avoid a boring shot. Turn off your flash and work with aperture and you'll see some different results.

- If you like shooting on the fly and are doing subjects in situations where tripods aren't going to be possible, try a gunstock mount. You can hold very steady - even with long lenses and still have the mobility to move to get a better angle.

Hope this helps
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Looks like the Trans Siberian Orchestra.