1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Critique My Playing (Aebersold Play Alongs)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by conttador, Dec 23, 2011.

1. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been playing for almost two years now, I recently started recording my self playing along with some Jamey Aebersold tracks. I would like to get some constructive feedback that will help me improve. Please check out my tracks and let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance to for taking the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    I heard the Blue Bossa..

Maybe check out your articulation,dynamics, and note duration...

Also I would practice a tempo much much slower.. and try to make it Feel and flow really well.. Sounds like your rush in a little at times

Most important thing is feel.. want the bass to really flow consistently;

Its like if your jogging there is a nice consistent rhythm

Really good for only playing 2 years though keep it in perspective...

I would just keep doing what your doing.. listen to some of the original recordings to those play alongs

3. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks I am experimenting with note choice and rhythm patterns. I think if I slow it down I will be able to focus on the articulation and dynamics, as you mentioned. My bass instructor alwas says, music is a journey. Thanks again!

VIA

4. GeoffT

GeoffT

Aug 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Good stuff, keep at it.

I will agree about slowing it down a bit to clean things up. When working on new songs I generally start around 100bpm and slowly move up from there. It tends to go better for me that way, especially when I get together with the guys and they are going at a much faster pace.

I'm not a big fan of your tone. Too much bite. I like a much fatter, deeper, warmer tone for playing that kind of stuff. Picking close to the neck rather than the bridge. This is just my opinion on it, so if you like the tone you have stick with it.

5. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    How do YOU find your playing? Tell me what you know and I'll add to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I listened to Scrapple and Blue Bossa, so for now, I'll give you thoughts on those.

First of all, two years of playing is not very long. I played fretted bass in rock for 12 years before buying a double bass in 1992 and I then spent three years sequestered with it (for the most part); woodshedding on jazz styles. So good on you for taking this on - these aren't the hardest jazz pieces in the world, but they aren't necessarily easy either.

My first impressions on Scrapple were that you were a behind the beat kind of player - then I realized that you really were just behind and scrambling to catch up, which you did, but it distracts the ear to hear that. So, I echo the advice about slowing things down until your time is rock solid.

My second impression of Scrapple is that you often made some very large intervallic leaps, usually in the downward direction. This was also very distracting to my ear - not that what I expect is "correct," but if you are going to leap, try leaping up more than down; especially because on electric bass, the lower register is so much more dominant, so those low lines after the higher lines just seemed out of place.

But by all means, don't restrict your lines; just try for now to keep them a bit more close to one another and once the timing is down better, start branching out.

As for Blue Bossa - I didn't get the sense that the style had changed enough. It should feel more like a Latin and it felt more like what you did on Scrapple than it should have. Try using a few more 1 and 5 syncopated pedals mixed in with walking syncopation on occasion.

All that said, you're doing well. No one said this would be easy. But hang in there and keep plugging!

7. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, I get lost at times and it's obvious in the recordings. I will say though, I used to just stop playing but I am at a point where I am able to catch up but I realize that the objective is to play solid. I just got The Amazing Slowdowner so I'll be slowing things down a bit. Thanks again for taking the time to give me some feedback.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

You have all the notes down. You just need to work on your feel for the different genres. Right now, it sounds very sterile. Your inexperience within those styles show!

I suggest immersing yourself into those styles and woodshed. Listen to a lot of it and listen to the feel and groove.

9. Dazzare

Dazzare

Dec 3, 2011
    Your slapping sounded really mechanical to me. Cut the Treble down on the bass please. Try to make slapping and popping one Fluid motion. It's all about the Economy of motion.

10. bassclique

bassclique

Sep 28, 2011
    My question is, where did you get the notation? Or, did you transcribe yourself?

I like the Mr. Super Hip track. I can't really comment on technique, but it sounds like fluency and expression are the important things here.

11. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    you're doing pretty awesome for 2 years of playing but if you really really wanna get better and be pro you gotta learn to relax on the time and feel. you are way ahead of the beat on alot of this stuff ....the slap tune is pretty much fubar on time feel.

on a positive note - you are taking on some very tough music and feels for 2 years of playing...keep doing what you're doing, don't push your ability so hard with practice choice in the near future ....let it all sink in ....find some dudes to play with and learn to relax your time and groove.

you're doing incredible for two years ....i wouldn't be so critical but you have places to go and things to see if you can get this far in two years!

12. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Mr. Superhip is from Jamey Aebersold volume 2 Nuthin but Blues. There is no notation, just chords. That is a great volume it's helped me quite a bit.

13. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks! I played some, not a lot in my teens. I took it back up at my wife's insistance and I've been fortunate enough to find it significantly less daunting this time around.
    In my neck of the woods there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to play. I do hit up the open jam sessions when I can and I get tense so I think you have a point. It doesn't help that experienced musicos don't always ha patience with those of us that aren't as far along. Regardless I'll keep plugging it's the only way!

14. bassclique

bassclique

Sep 28, 2011
    Ah, thanks ;)

15. As several have said, it sounds like you are rushing to catch up......... Less notes would help. Augment don't compete with the melody line. "Dumb it down" and find the groove - once you feel the groove then you can add some more of the chord's tones. See if that helps.

Thanks for posting, we all learned something from hearing this.

16. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    excellent for 2 years! congrats bro, well on your way. i would never critique your playing having played for as little as you have. but you are asking for input so i'll chime in...

time and feel need work. making music is so much more than just hitting the right notes. it's actually much more about the right time and feel - especially as the bassist. it took me so many years to learn this bro. get a leg up on me and start now.

i admire your willingness to put your stuff out there for critique!

17. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Music is my second job, I am an internal auditor and for that reason I can always appreciate a second set of eyes, or ears in this case. I'll work on the timing and I hope that will address the feel issues otherwise how do you practice feel.

I'll post these old files along with some updated ones in a few months. I've been recording myself for a few months and it has slowly helped me address holes on my playing and with your feedback I have plenty to work on.

18. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    OK guys thanks to everyone who gave me some Feedback. I've been working on autumn leaves and I would appreciate some more feedback. I'll also post some re-recordings of Blue Bossa and Scrapple. I've been playing now just a little over two years and I have been fortunate enough two land some great local instructors. I know there are some great players here as well and I humbly ask for your opinions.

Autumn Leaves by Victor Aboytes on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free