1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Critique my slap bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peyton, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Peyton

Peyton

Aug 14, 2012
  2. Well... honestly I felt that the groove was really loose, I didn't hear a consistent downbeat in there, like there was too much space. As far as your technique, it looks like your moving your hand a lot more than you really need to. The thing to strive for with slap bass, and really ANY technique on ANY instrument, is efficiency of motion. Otherwise, you are off to a good start. :)

3. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1 on everything. Work on timing and don't let your right hand flail as much. Otherwise it's sounding good!

Also, interesting that Flea's your inspiration but you pop with your pointer finger. He uses his middle, but whatever's most comfortable for you works I suppose.

4. Looks like you're off to a good start:)

I'm no slapper, but I would suggest plucking the G string with your middle finger. I think this will help with your efficiency that others have spoken about. By plucking the D with your index and the G with your middle you don't have to move your hand nearly as much.

Since you're just starting, try experimenting for a while and watch videos of some great slappers. Ultimately its all about what works for you. There's more than one technique on the road to becoming a great slapper/bass player.

Good luck.

5. Peyton

Peyton

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I never noticed how much my hand moved until you pointed it out. That's something I'll be working on. I'll toy around with tightening up the groove. I'll re-record when I get these things ironed out

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Yeah, you need to work a bit on the ol' clawhammer technique. And it felt a little like you were missing 'the one' quite often. Get the groove nailed then work on the tricks ;)

7. try getting those left hand knuckles parallel to the neck, and what I did to decrease my right hand flailing was practice slowly.
    Playing slowly made me feel like a dumby waving my hand, and I'm nowhere near perfect now but my right hand has tightened up

8. You're off to a great start.

Practice with a drum machine groove. Do another recording with the drum machine. They are free on the internet.