Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Critique my website.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Oct 4, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Our drummer made this and it is his first website. WE also just canceled all of our shows due to the fact 2 of our regular places are closing. :( So we have time ti fix it up if need be.

www.crawlspacerocks.com

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    eh... there is something very harry potter about the picture on top.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it might say "Crawl Space" a couple more times than necessary? I dunno...

Kinda puts me in mind of that old Rufus Xavier Sasparilla cartoon. I think a pronoun or two might be in order, but I could be wrong.

He might want to run a spell checker here and there, in particular "february" and "Halloween" jumped out at me; although maybe the last one was intentional?

Hope I don't sound too negative, just trying to point out what could be addressed for accuracy.

looks OK otherwise. Sorry you had to cancel gigs. That's no fun.

4. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I like your songlist, my band (www.jride.com) plays a lot of the same covers (and you and I both play a q5 :bassist: ).

The only thing about your website that I noticed was the menu bar seems to change a lot, I would rather see it consistent from page to page with the choices in the same order (news, bio, calendar, etc.) and also spaced the same, I think a consistent menu from page to page is critical.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Nice bassface:

[​IMG]

The main problem with the site, IMHO, is the amount of wasted space at the top of the page - about 400+ pixels of 'header' before you see any unique content. I'd move the menu headings to the lefthand side, floating over the door and also put a small logo over the door so you keep the visual identity of the site when you move to other pages.

Is the site static HTML or do you have the option of server side scripting? If you've got the latter, it's pretty easy to whip up a simple template to give each page a consistent look and feel, which improves the visitor experience and makes maintenance easier.

Wulf

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, the menu bit bugs me. I'd say keep it consistent, and highlight the section the viewer's at - e.g. make the "NEWS" jpeg yellow (you could use a shade found in the door pic to match them) and non-clickable when they're at the news section, and so forth. What's also a bit annoying to me is the fact that I on more or less every page need to scroll down to even start reading - IMO the logo pic and blank space under it occupy too much space, as does the pic in the bio section. Text is also easier to read when it doesn't cover the whole width of a page - creating a (centered,) invisible table with a width of, say 600 pixels, is an easy workaround. Then I'll probably have to scroll down even more to read the whole text, but oh well, I can't have everything... ;)

As it is now, it's clean, and relatively easy to read and navigate already. But, it could be even easier to read and navigate. :)

Great picture section, I love looking at band pics. I'd like a little info on each member to fill up the bio section, though, to complete the illustrations...

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    The page is simple but effective.
    Things I`d change:

- Always had to scroll (in both directions) the pages to view them properly. Try to make the page fit in the screen, no matter the resolution.
    - I personally prefer side menus (instead of top menus). They make pages easier to navigate and info clearer.
    - Placing the pics within bordered frames would be better, IMHO (also try to name and/or categorize them)

Regards, Papersen

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whoa. That's odie? I had him figured for a puny white guy.. :p

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    All the standard text at the bottom of the home page looks kind of lame. It looks like an after thought that really doesn't artistically fit with the page...especially when juxtaposed with the Crawl Space logo and menu items that have cool looking font.

Don't have time now to dig deeper but that immediatlely jumped out at me.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yeah I dont even know if I ever posted any pics of myself before. Actually I remember one for a flyer and that was first and the last until now.

11. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Pop quiz!

What band, based out of Atlanta, used to be called Crawlspace?

Answer: Sevendust

Cool site, though...I agree, though, to make the main graphic a little shorter height or, make it the main graphic and add a place to click for current info... Some folks may miss the HTML text at the bottom if they're on a smaller screen, etc..

12. More pics of college chicks. :D