1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Critique on my playing please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nashrakh, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    So my band made some rehearsal recordings yesterday.

We are a 5-piece acoustic covers band.

Here are the songs:

Bubbly (Colbie Callait Cover)
    Ironic (Alanis Morissette Cover)
    Radio (The Corrs Cover)

The songs are nothing special, just something your average acoustic cover set list should have.

My setup:
    Fender MiM P with La Bella Flats (with ramp and foam mute)
    Traynor YBA 200
    Custom shop cab, 1x15 + 1x8 (optional)

Usually, I crank the gain to max on my amp and leave the EQ totally flat, maybe cutting the highs if I feel like it. In these recordings, I don't think I did. Normally, I also just play the 1x15 without the 1x8.

On all songs I used the foam mute. Bubbly was with the tone knob rolled all the way off, and on Ironic I switched on the 1x8 for some added high mids (for the little bass leads later in the song).

So, what I want to know - what do you think of my playing? What is ok, what needs improvement? How's my pocket? (Do I even have one?)

Comments on our overall sound are also appreciated.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ayy guy, im listening to bubbley now. Im going to comment on the overall sound, as your bass playing was totally fine.

Your bass is way too loud. The vocals and the piano are both favored out of the right speaker. Listen to the intro. You should balance it. Turn up the piano more, turn yourself down. Also, your singers voice is a little to...present. too...something. Maybe some different reverb or something.

Dont worry though, at least youre making music. Give it another shot. I havent a clue if you are recording yourself or not, but if you are, you will get better at it. I listen to stuff i recorded a few months ago and now and its NIGHT AND DAY! haha.

Best of luck though!

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Yeah we had some volume problems. On earlier recordings, the drums were too loud, I was too quiet etc. On Bubbly, I actually was a little less loud than on say, Ironic... :meh:

We recorded using a single stereo microphone, we simply had it standing in the room to get some quick recordings. We also had to build a little "drum cabin" using some sheets to make the cymbals less harsh, lol.

Thanks for your input!

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    lol. Hey, you have to start somewhere! At least you have some songs going!

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Bump. Any other opinions beside "that rehearsal recording sounds like a rehearsal recording"?

Or should I take it that it's nothing worthy to comment on, as in "not bad enough to make me post, but not good enough to make me post either", haha.

6. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    sounds like a rehearsal recording ... :)

Sounds like you got the grove on to me ... your playing is smooth & sounds like Pop music.