1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crooked Bridge on a Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Altitude, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
  2. Well, sumpin aint straight.

Thats unacceptable, IMO.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    If you look closely at the "close-up" of the body, you can clearly see the bridge at the front end sticking out past the darker wood stripe, but flush with it at the back. From the view of the other side, you can see that the bridge is not perfectly centered on the body either.

The bridge is crooked and off-center on there, though with the fully adjustable bridge it wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on playability or intonation.

Aesthetically however, it's wrong.

4. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I wonder if some enterprising owner took it off and maybe did not get it back on quite right.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    How could you not use the same screw holes???

6. yea its not on there straight, it didnt look wrong at first glance but when you actually look at it, its definitly not straight. i wonder how much it will go for.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I wonder if the seller is even aware of it. He doesn't mention it in the ad.

Then again...perhaps that's why he doesn't mention it?

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Is that the stock bridge? That looks like a hipshot A type bridge. Is that what it came with?

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yup, that's a stock Cirrus bridge.

They are very solid, adjustable bridges. This one is just crooked.

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Its an ABM bridge, which is similar to the Hipshot type A.

And its definitely crooked!!

11. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Its not crooked - the outside maple and purple heart laminates follow the fingerboard taper so the neck-through portion of the neck is wider at then end of the bass than at the fingerboard.

12. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    the bridge on my cirrus doesn't look like this.

[​IMG]

13. Exactly. And it lines up perfectly w/the bridge pup which is also straight.

The rest of you guys are crazy!

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    If you look at the other picture that shows the other side of the body, the darker laminate is completely under the bridge.

So not only is it on there crooked, it's not centered on the body either.

It won't make any difference as far as playability or intonation as the bridge is completely adjustable to easliy compensate. But it is a flaw.

15. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I also don't think it is off center because the strings are well centered on the FB, and there is still side to side adjustment available all but the B string it looks like. All even if the bridge were slightly crooked, which I don't even know that it is, this bridge has plenty of adjustment to compensate for it. I would not be bothered by the bridge if I were looking ot buy this bass.

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

Mine's the same way and I GUARANTEE YOU mine's on correctly. Also, my picture is from the bottom, so you can see it's the same thing as the top picture from the fretless. It's a taper thing, not a crooked thing.

[​IMG]

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Look at how your bridges are on the laminate strip.

The bridge is not centered on the body. Regarding the one on the bay...In one pic, on one side the bridge is clearly NOT covering the laminate strip completely. Part of it is exposed. On the other side it is covering it up completely, in fact it overlaps it significantly. The bridge is NOT centered on the body (even if it is NOT crooked).

Now, if the strings are lined up with the pickups, then the pickups are not centered either.

It is a flaw...though relatively minor. I had a Cirrus as well, I do know how the bridge fits on them.

FWIW, it wouldn't sway me from buying it either...but it is a bit off.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Jason, look again. I bet you find that at the front of the bridge the stringer is in just a bit farther than at the back. Maybe your neck was cust just ever so slightly narrower that your bridge covers it all, but I guarantee you this is a taper thing... guaranteed.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    By the way Vic...that is one sweet looking Cirrus!

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Why thank you sir, I must agree. :)

Actually, that's an old pic. I've upgraded the preamp. Hopefully this isn't "spam" in this thread, but here's a current pic...

cirrus5_mpre.

I have a LOT of updating I need to do to my gear page, GAS has uprooted my collection big time... :)