1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crosby Stills and Nash Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 57pbass, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Who plays bass on their early recordings?

I love that sound...

I'll take a guess and say its a P Bass with flats through a Fender Bass amp with 15"s ??

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    This should be in Bassists, but...

In addition to Steven Stills, Greg Reeves (Deja Vu) and Calvin Samuels (Four Way Street). P basses aplenty, methinks.

3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Didn't George "Chocolate" Perry play for them? and what albums did he play on?

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's always been my understanding. I think that the P-bass that Stills used was a 3-tone burst with a rosewood board and tort guard.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The P bass is owned by Stills. They used it on the first
    CSN&Y record and have been using it on almost everything
    since. Stills just gives it to whoever is playing bass in
    the studio on that song or record. It hasn't been on
    everything, but that early 60's P bass has been on most
    of the CSN&Y and Stills recordings.

6. George Perry played on the later stuff.

Also played with CSN in their various incarnations: Leland Sklar, Duck Dunn, Rick Danko...

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But that wasn't the question! :p

Stills played organ, piano and all the lead guitar as well as bass - very under-rated musician!

8. Bruce, you're very odd.

That was the question I answered. The original question has already been covered. :rollno:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That wasn't the question either - it was really : "what albums did he play on?" and you haven't answered that either!!

You're a mine of "non-information"!! :D

10. For the love of God... settle down, Bruce. You're far too exciteable.

As far as I remember:

Mainly SS solo albums: Stills, Illegal Stills, Allies (CSN Live), Stills Live, Thoroughfare Gap and various CSN sessions which I can't remember off the top of my head.

A mine of non-information , Bruce. That's right.

Edited to add:

Oh, aye - he's on CSN and Long May You Run, too.

Edited again to add:

A couple of the above might be Kenny Pasarelli, rather than George Perry. My addled mind is stuffed to bursting with non-information.

11. As I understand it, Stills' bass is a 60' P named "Grandma".

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Stills doesn't change those flatwounds often, but when he does I've heard he rubs bbq sauce into them to kind of pre-age them. Mmmmmmm ... tasty!

13. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    In some Bass Player issue last year Stills was quoted on the "bbq sauce and cheeseburger grease" approach to deadening strings. He said he wanted to get more of a standup sound. That issue has the tab for Judy Blue Eyes - which was tracked by Stills back in the day.

14. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles