1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cross Country Move...Found New Band—Feels Good!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ekulati, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Just sharing some GOOD news: Family situation prompted us to pick up and move 2500 miles last summer...wife, kids in tow, to a great town where we know virtually no one. Job has kicked my butt, new house is still a mess, getting kids settled has been challenging, so music has been on hold. Met a guy a while back who referred me (sight unheard) to his friends re-forming a long-time R&B/Soul project. Had been 7-8 pc in the past, but starting small this time.

Anyway, “auditioned” the other night, they liked me, I liked them. We’re all in our 50s, all dads, but NOT a dad band. We’ll do ZERO of the stuff on “that” list. Instead focusing on that huge untapped rep of up-tempo, timeless songs from artists who may not had have mega radio success, but who still get folks out shakin’ it on the floor. (This is not a “rock” project, so none of that “being current” stuff matters.) Heavy on Delbert McClinton, NRBQ, Los Lobos, some TOP (when new add horns), and a few old soul classics, stuff like that. Of course, we won’t get a TON of gigs, nor many weddings/corporate with this (NO Electric Slide, NO Brick House...), but that’s not what we’re after. And of course, no shorts, no sports jerseys, no ball caps. Just old pro’s doing it right – fun for us, fun for an audience.

Now...I think I have an excuse to finally get that fiver...;)

DirtDog, kittywithabanjo and pachoate like this.