Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cross-over from upright to bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zaphod, Jan 14, 2001.

1. zaphod

zaphod

Jan 14, 2001
    I have played an upright for a number of years, and recently deceided to look around for a bass guitar.
    Since i don't know anyhting about bass guitar's, i would appreciate any advice anyone has on what i should buy. I have about 400.

I was thinking about a fretless fender jazz

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You should be able to get a good MIM (Made-In-Mexico)
    fretless Jazz for that money.
    There's also Yamaha's RBX260F. I've got one but have done
    a lot of "tweaking" -
    replaced the bridge, gutted the electronics, etc.
    An MIM Jazz should be good to go outta' the gate.

Here's a couple online shops...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010112195752012106208029339347?pid=510257

http://marsmusic.com/store/product_new.jhtml?catid=238&prodid=3534&skuid=6407

Both models (and many others) are also for sale at http://www.ebay.com
    Enter "fretless" in the search field.

[​IMG] paging Gruffpuppy? (you'll probably hear from him :D ).

[Edited by notduane on 01-14-2001 at 11:38 AM]

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I say go for the Fender Fretless MIM Jazz. I just bought the same bass after playing the fretted equivalent, and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it. I learned DB first, too, and the transition to bass guitar has been pretty easy. One thing I might suggest is forcing yourself early on to learn to play "finger-per-fret" style as opposed to "1-2-4" double bass style. I didn't, and I'm positively kicking myself trying to make the switchover. Best to do it while you're still getting accustomed to the bass guitar. There are tons of good players out there who play with 1-2-4, I'm sure, but I think it's generally a good idea to play finger-per-fret if you can.

Good luck on your transition from behemoth to baby behemoth. ;)

4. I agree with the Jazz bass choice, but not with the note on fingering. I am a "doubler" too, also a teacher and pro player, and I recommend you stay with your 1,2,4. Unless you have very long fingers like Stanley Clarke, you can do yourself some injury stretching over four frets in the half position. 1,2,3,4 is fine from 2nd or 3rd position up. I've seen some totally blistering players that used 1,2,4 in the lower positions, so speed is not a factor. Hand comfort is.

5. hey zap there are so many choices aren't there.
    i would say go with what feels good to your hands.

the fender jazz is a good choice for that money.
    make sure it is set up with good action so it doesn't spoil your transfer.

i have a pedulla fretless that i love but that goes for about 3 times what you want to spend at this point.

try the fender, fall in love, spend more time with it and see if you stay in love. at that point come back and search on more hi-end basses.

seeing that you play upright i would look for one without the lines but having it with the lines will also probally help in your transfer.

good luck. and remember bass players are a diferent breed we are always here for each other.