Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crossed over set up,want to add a cab a 2x8 or 2x10 for highs or 1x15 for the lows?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Add a 4 ohm 15 and run it Bi amped for lows

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Add a 4 ohm 2x8 or 10 and run it Bi amped for highs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Add another cab 2x10,4x10,15 and run it stereo

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Get a 8 ohm cab and run it bridged

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other that I haven't thought of

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I own an Eden Wt800 head. If your not familiar with one it's made to be run with two cabs ( one for highs one for lows)and has a built in crossover designed for this. The question is which way to go, a cab for the mids and highs or a cab for the lows. I currently own an Ampeg HLF 4x10 so it's has good lows and highs, it's a good full range cab. I just don't know if I want to let the Ampeg 4x10 handle the highs and mids and get a 15 of some kind or let the 4x10 do only the lows and get like a LDS 2x8 for mids and highs, a good little punchy cab? What do you guys prefer with your set ups that run it crossed over?

2. Please consider not bi-amping your rig. You said yourself that the Ampeg 4x10 hlf is a good sounding full range cab. There should be no reason to take away part of the good sound.

If you want another cab just run it full range. The days of bi-amping are over.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's made to run it this way. The amp has two outs and is set up to run 4 ohm cabs for this reason. So there is only one amp in my head with 2 outs. One out is for highs one out is for lows and has a built in crossover so I can choose what freq I want to put to what cabs. My cab sounds good but if I got a 15 it would have more booty, or a small 2x10 or 2x8 it would have more cut an punch because I would only send 300hz and above to that cab.

4. Your amplifier is actually a stereo unit consisting of two seperate amps. You can run to 4 ohm cabinets in bi-amp mode or you can run two 4 ohm cabinets in full range. You can also bridge your two power sections and run all 800 watts into a single 8 ohm enclosure.

One problem with bi-amping is that finding a good subwoofer is next to impossible in the bass cab world (most bass cabs are full range). The second thing you'll run into is that 400 watts isn't a lot of power to throw at a subwoofer (low frequencies need a lot of power to get loud), and a third thing is that subs (most anyway) are often very large.

My suggestion to you would be to get an 8 ohm version of whatever cab you like and bridge your amp into it. I know a great many people that use the WT800 and none of them bi-amp with it. It's allways bridged or stereo full range operation. Bi-amping just really isn't necessary any more with modern speaker design in regards to live bass guitar amplification.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    to actually get to his question......

4x10 can usually handle the highs pretty damn punchy and clear, id go with a 2x12 or a single 15 or 18 if you really wanna get a good thump to it.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    A 15" and a pair of 8"s work very well for biamping. Depending on where you set the crossover, you may be happier with a 15" and 2x10 (which is what I use with a Hartke 5000). I also have a Polytone Pro which is set up with a 15 and 2x8 and while not as loud, it does sound better. I like being able to add effects to the upper end without affecting the lower end and I also like to set different tones for upper and lower, which the polytone does very well - the Hartke does not have separate tones for top and bottom though. I think that many who dis bi-amping are more familiar with the limitations of a single set of tone controls affecting both high and low, which kinda defeats one of the main pluses for biamping.

7. I'm not dis'ing bi-amping, but I do tend to think it sounds different to me,... weaker to my ears. It's something that you should investigate before laying down your money RicPlaya.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks for your responses. Well You have all given me a lot to think about. Here's where I am at..

1. get a 4 ohm 200w 15 run it bi amped w/ x over
    2. get a 4ohm 2x10 run it bi amped w/ x over
    3. get another cab like I have or whatever I want and run it stereo
    4. sell my cab, get a 8 ohm cab and give it all the juice

decisions .....

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    uhh, whats is the 4x10 running at...

if yoru amp is set for 4 ohms, you wouldnt want a single 8 ohm, you would want 2 8ohm or a single 4 ohm...

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I just added a poll since I have no clue what to do....

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    hey man you have aim or MSN, id rather try to help out that way...

if you have a 4ohm amp,you wouldnt want to run 2 4ohm outputs into a single 8ohm cab

hit me on AIM at URBANxSTRIKE or drop me a line at zfield@sonic.net

12. His particular amplifier (Eden WT800) has a stereo out-put section. This means that while in stereo mode (whether bi-amping or not) he can put a minimum impedence load of 4 ohms per channel. When this particular amplifier is bridged to mono the minimum impedence load is 8 ohms.