Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crosses in transcriptions.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Feda, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm trying to teach my self "Power" of Marcus Miller. I'm wondering what to do when there are crosses instead of notes. It sounds like he is muting somehow.. I can't get that sound..

Thanks

2. SyntaxError

SyntaxError

Sep 24, 2003
    yeah, he's muting the string... there are various ways to do that

plucking the string while "holding it still" (not acctually fretting the string, just touching it enough to it mute it when you pluck it) with your right hand, is one way. you can also use your left pinky to hold the string still while plucking with your pointer or index

3. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Thank you, I still don't get the same sound but I quess it will come with some pratice.

4. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Ghost notes are really hard to get right at first. It just takes time. I have been working on ghost notes for almost a year and I still haven't quite gotten it. A simple bass line that uses ghost notes is Jaco (weather report) black market. It is in Bb (I think)- look up the tab and listen to the song.

5. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks, I'll go see if I can find an album with the song on it.

6. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Oh, black market notation and tab can be found at
    http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/
    Look for Beatles "Blackbird" for some reason that is the link that gives you Weather Reports Balck Market. If you have sibelus (sp) scorch it plays the song for you over the notation. Good luck. If you can't get it let me know and I'll scan the page I have.

7. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I can't find Blackbird, and it looks like it costs money..I'll rather buy the CD and figure it out my self:)
    I appretiate the help. :)

8. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    the bass line repeats so all you need is the first page which is free. Send me an email and I will email you the first page.

charles_thayer@ncsu.edu

9. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I really appretiate this! Thanks :D