Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crossing over......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 20, 2002.

1. how to you rig a cross over?

im wanting to get avatar 2x10 and 15 cabs @ 8 ohms...and thats like 1000 watts combined power. I'm looking at QSC pwr amps and then using an MXR M80 as a preamp

whith all that said.. how do you make a cross over?
    2x10 for the mids/highs and the 15 for the thunderous lows?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Don't know "how you make a crossover" but there are a couple of options for you out there.

1 - I have a DOD (Bass 30 I think) that is an effects pedal, wah, tuner, etc all in one. The cool thing is that it also has a built in crossover and you can low frequencies and high frequencies out separately (via the 2 outputs that it has). I got it onsale for $99 at musiciansfriend.com. I think that go for about $179 or so normally. I have to admit that I have never used the crossover on this so I cannot tell you how good or not good it works.

2 - Another option is to do what I did and get a Hartke HA 7000 head with 2 - 350 watt amps in it (I really believe that they are underated at 350 watts cause they are sooo loud with tons of headroom). You can bi-amp it and it has a built in crossover with a frequency adjustment (from 80 hz all the way up to 1 khz) and you can also dial in how much "juice" (wattage) each cab is getting. This is EXTREMELY valuable because when I had my Hartke HA 3500 I did not have a crossover and could not adjust how much wattage was going to each cab. The 1x15 was drowning out the 4x10 (cause the 4x10 needed more wattage to get it to the same volume level because of it having 4 speakers vs 1). plus the 1x15 was muddy with the higher frequencies not being filtered going to it. The HA 7000 made my rig sound soooooooo much better after I adjusted it a bit. I got it on ebay for $405 with a rack and the head was (and still is) in dead mint condition. Hope this helps!!!!

3. Buy a Rane MX22 from eBay. Plentiful there, and inexpensive. Put it between the preamp and your QSC. Run the QSC in stereo mode.