Crossover advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Astroman, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I'm currently powering a Genz Benz 4x10XB and a Bergantino 2x12 with a Stewart 1.2 in parallel mode (350 watts per cab @ 4 ohms) and an Avalon U-5 preamp to cut through the mix in my loud modern rock band. It seems to work very well, but I've been told a using a crossover to runn lows to the 12's and highs to the 10's will sound fantastic.
    A soundman suggested an Ashly XR1001 crossover for the job.
    Any experience, advice or suggestions on this matter would be appreciated!
  2. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Without being judgemental about your obviously top-of-the-line setup, my experience leads me to opine that you'd get more out of using a crossover if you had a 15" and some 10s. But, still, the thing about a crossover is that it maximizes the work you get out of your speakers by isolating the frequency range that they are resposible for. I used to use one (an Ashly that was quite good) just to completely get rid of all the highs- but that's my hangup, eh? People loved the tone, though. They'd say "Oh, your tone is so full and your playing is so clean" and it was really just becuase I was rolling off anything but mud. Well, it was either that or practice.