Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crossover help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lawnpatio, Feb 1, 2001.

1. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    I have just one amp and it isn't able to bi-amp (Hartke 3500). But the problem is that I will soon have two cabs a 4x10 and a 1x15. Is there a company that makes a seperate componant that would allow me to select the freq. cut of point? instead of just hooking both of the cabs into mono and using the same tone controls for both. Any ideas from anyone????

Chris

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    If the 15" cabinet is not a subwoofer you can power it full range with your amp so long as the combined impedences of both cabinets does not go below your amplifiers limit.

Crossovers are typicaly used in conjunction with seperat amplifiers.

3. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    So there is no way I can control which freq. go into which cab then???

4. Yes there is, but it's probably cheaper and better sounding to get an extra amp for that purpose. A passive crossover (that's what we're talking about here) is hard to construct for low frequencies and high power. You'd have to cross over at, say 200 Hz. This requires 2 huge crossover coils and 2 huge capacitors, weighing, like, 4 lbs together. Maybe cost $80-100.

You'll lose some power (like 10%) in the crossover.

Why are you so eager to cross over, if I may ask?

[Edited by Joris on 02-02-2001 at 12:19 PM]

5. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    I just wanted to control all the lows from going into the 4x10 cab because currently they are all muddy because its the only cab i'm using. But I guess I will just have to wait until I buy an amp in the future that can bi-amp. Thanks though

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What kind of muddy 410 do you have?

7. You would be surprised what a different EQ setting can do. For instance, well, you gotta have a graphic EQ, try leaving the lowest sliders alone (at mid position) and boost the area around 150-200 Hz by about 6 dB (slider half way between mid and top position) and drop the area around 800 Hz by the same amount. When I use this EQ, it sounds as "not-muddy" as it can get.

8. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    Its the Hartke Transporter which actaully isn't that bad of cab considering I only paid $330 for it brand new. I just wanted the extra low end and you normally can't get that from the tens so thats why I'm building another cab with the jbl E140-8 in it. That speaker will really boost my low end. Thanks

Chris