1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crossover Impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I'm looking to maybe get a Carvin BR118 and replace the stock Carvin speaker(4 ohms) with an EV speaker(8 ohms). Would there be a problem doing that because of the different impedances? Would I blow the crossover or something crazy like that?

Also-

Why does Carvin sell their BR118 and BR410 in a stack together? The specs for each one say that the BR118 is 4 ohms and the BR 410 is 8 ohms. That doesn't make any sense to me

2. Changing out the speaker is almost guaranteed to make the cab sound like ass.

Carvin makes an 8 ohm version of the same speaker, that would be the way to go if you *must* have an 8 ohm version of the cab.

That bass cab does not have a crossover (that I am aware of), so no........you won't burn anything out swapping drivers.

That stack is sold with a head that is capable of bi-amping. Low freq's take more power to reproduce than mid/high freq's. Also, the cabs are of different sensitivity/efficiency. They are paired together to produce a good balance between the lows and mid/highs.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021