Crossover Impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I'm looking to maybe get a Carvin BR118 and replace the stock Carvin speaker(4 ohms) with an EV speaker(8 ohms). Would there be a problem doing that because of the different impedances? Would I blow the crossover or something crazy like that?

Also-

Why does Carvin sell their BR118 and BR410 in a stack together? The specs for each one say that the BR118 is 4 ohms and the BR 410 is 8 ohms. That doesn't make any sense to me

2. Changing out the speaker is almost guaranteed to make the cab sound like ass.

Carvin makes an 8 ohm version of the same speaker, that would be the way to go if you *must* have an 8 ohm version of the cab.

That bass cab does not have a crossover (that I am aware of), so no........you won't burn anything out swapping drivers.

That stack is sold with a head that is capable of bi-amping. Low freq's take more power to reproduce than mid/high freq's. Also, the cabs are of different sensitivity/efficiency. They are paired together to produce a good balance between the lows and mid/highs.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022