Crossover in a Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by user, Nov 25, 2003.

1. user

Oct 26, 2003
    I posted earlier about a blown 10" in my Ampeg SVT-1510HE cab..

I called Ampeg for a replacement speaker recommendation for this. I had asked about an Eminence BETA 10B, a 16ohm 250wRMS speaker. The tech said my cab has a "crossover" and that all power is not going to get to the 10", so a high powered speaker is not necessary. This cab has a 15" and a tweeter as well. What is this crossover doing? How do you calculate the power?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The crossover splits the signal so the lows go only to the 15", mids go to the 10 and highs to the tweeter.

It's tough to calculate exactly how much power the 10" will see because it depends on the crossover frequencies as well as the sort of EQ settings you use, the music you play, etc.

Why not just recone the original 10"?
  3. user

Oct 26, 2003
    I kind of need it fixed ASAP as it is my only cabinet. I could order the speaker today and have it back quickly.

Also, the OEM 10" is rated at 80w at 16ohm, and the replacement is 250w at 16ohm, which would (I think) afford me the luxury of not having it rip again. Do you think there is truth to it? Or is it not the wattage, but the frequencies pumping through it that ripped it (regardless of wattage)?
  4. Use an Ampeg replacement driver. They are a match for your cabinet design.
  5. user

Oct 26, 2003
    if I do, do you think it will blow again, or was it probably because the speaker was over 11 years old?
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Sometimes a speaker that handles more power is not as loud (or efficient). Many Guitar 12" speakers are 30 watt speakers - but they are louder than say a 250 watt 12" bass speaker.
    Some of this is due to the material of the cone and surround. A thin light material may produce more sound than a thick stiff material - but the thick stiff material can be pushed harder without breaking up.

I would go with the OEM driver unless the efficiency of the 250w speaker (measured in dbs) is higher than the OEM driver.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Isn't the 10 in a sealed subenclosure (no port) in the 1510? If so, I would think that a Beta would work fine. The original speaker is probably an Eminence.

If the original lasted 11 years, perhaps a replacement/recone would too. Are you going to be using this cabinet in 11 years?

I must have missed your original the speaker physically torn or is it rattling, etc.?
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Replace it with the Ampeg replacement driver or recone, don't mess around with something else because it will like mess with the sound that you are used to.
  9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you don't use an Ampeg replacement, you should at least get the Thiele-Small specifiations of the original driver from Ampeg, and find a speaker with similar specs. As has already been mentioned, the cabinet and crossover were designed for that particular driver, and just slapping in another speaker will likely change the sound of the cabinet unless it closely matches the original.