Crossover in a pedal friendly setup.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Veldar, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Hey lads,

I'm in the process of building up my pedal arsenal, just got a pedaltrain pro, have some stuff from ebay coming and continue to lurk Australia used pedals sites hoping to catch some nice stuff for decent prices.

However after getting a MXR M80+ for a Meshuggahy tone I was surprised at how much low end I lost, I tried clean blending, eqing, isolating the pedal by itself to make sure it wasn't a weird power/cable issue thing (some noise/weird distorting was introduced but I think it's just from one spot daisy chain that I had running).

I used to use a Boss-HM 2 ages ago without a crossover but my Warwick bass might of had a wiring issue, it never had any lows going on. Now that I've gotten used to a clean tone I can't lose that low end, it just sounds wrong...

My budget is sub $200 AUD, I think right now my best choice is to use a Rolls device (no idea which one) and then remix using a Boss LS-2 (is there a tone suck with these things?). Can't afford a S&X (?) unless theres on used that I can ship afford with my budget.

Cheers, Sam.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. LS2 has no phase control. Even the sfx requires you to bend down and flick the switch. I am too hot and bothered right now to type it all again. Have a search on my posts. If you already have an ls2 you can add another blender to do the phase switching when it is engaged. Rolls Sx21 mini crossover ftw.

3. I did see some of your older post but I was hoping something new would of appeared making life easier :)

I did completely forget about phase control though...

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    To fix phase issues with an LS-2 on the cheap, just stick an EHX LPB-1 (and probably many other simple boost pedals) in the loop - you should be able to pick up a used one for peanuts.

Veldar likes this.
  5. You far away from Tym's Guitars in Brissie?

Ask him if he's got any stock of the Big Bottom.
    It's a blender essentially, but only the low end passes thru, letting the low mids to treble range cop all the effected signal saving your sub-lows free and thumpy.
    I don't own one, but I've seen bands play them, and they do the job very well.
    They pop up on gumtree every now and then.

Blu bro and Veldar like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021